Basement Jaxx 2.75
Oasis 2.71
Lady Gaga 2.61
Queen 2.6
Bloc Party 2.41
Eminem 2.38
Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05

And straight on with the next one; The Prodigy!

What do we think then?

0 voters

Album

• Experience
  • Music For The Jilted Generation
  • The Fat Of The Land
  • Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned
  • Invaders Must Die
  • The Day Is My Enemy
  • No Tourists

0 voters

Single (taken from the Their Law best of)

• Firestarter
  • Breathe
  • Out Of Space
  • Smack My Bitch Up
  • Poison
  • Girls
  • Voodoo People
  • Charly
  • No Good (start the dance)
  • Spitfire
  • Jericho
  • Everybody In the Place
  • One Love
  • Hot Ride
  • Invaders Must Die
  • Omen
  • Warrior’s Dance
  • Take Me To The Hospital
  • Nasty
  • Wild Frontier

0 voters

Hmmm, at their best they are really thrilling and exciting, but I have some quibbles. They don’t really go for anything other than thrilling and exciting, do they, so although Liam can be brilliant at what he does, he’s operating in a very narrow field, without much variety or emotional range (this isn’t going to stop me giving The Ramones a million out of five though, tbf). Also the last twenty years of their career is very forgettable. I know all these long term artists have peaks and troughs, but there’s a lot more down than up in their 21st century discography. And finally, seeing as I gave Kendrick a slagging for repeatedly calling women bitches, I can’t really give a free pass to That Song, can I?

But on the other hand, the likes of Breathe and No Good are just so very very banging…

3 Likes

First band I ever got into. I remember sitting listening to Fat of the Land through a massive pair of headphones and it was the most exciting thing I’d ever heard

3 Likes

They loved rohypnol

I’ve gone with a 3. Fat Of The Land came out when I was 12 and really opened my eyes to music that wasnt guitar-based, and then that lead me to Jilted Generation is a fucking brilliant record. It’s never really been ‘my type of thing’ but those first 3 albums hold up for the most part (FOTL least so). Like @maggieloveshopey said, they only really have one gear, and in a genre that’s constantly evolving and moving on, they were completely left behind. Only heard bits after Fat… but just found it all very dull, like an ageing man in a pub trying to show you how he can still do a handstand. 3/5.

3 Likes

Abstaining. Don’t know enough about them to have an opinion

One of my biggest regrets is not joining the rest of my school year at the local U18s club when they came to town on the Experience tour back in the day. That show has gone down in legend, but my indie-snobbery had kicked in big-style at the time and “dance music” was for the trendies.

Don’t really know anything past The Fat Of The Land, and I’m not sure I’ve even listened to that as an album, just know the singles. In fact, I hadn’t listened to them in years until I revisited Jilted Generation after Keith Flint’s death and was reminded how utterly exhilarating they could be. And despite being overplayed to death, if Firestarter comes on during a night out I WILL dance.

All that said, they are only really worthy of a 3 from me. The highs are pretty great, but they’re not a band that I ever really choose to listen to.

2 Likes

Shout out to my cousin who, at age 21 and as a huge Prodigy fan, and despite the title of the actual damn track, was convinced that the lyrics to That Song were, “grab my picture, smash my picture.”

27 Likes

Love The Prodigy. Great live band, even in recent years when they pretty much became a heritage band. Just a look at that list of singles reminds you how good they were at their peak. But yeah, agree that they never really developed much after the first 3 albums.
Right now, I’m going to give a 4.5.

Thread has peaked early

Much like the band

6 Likes

Saw them in 2006 at Isle Of Wight and they were fucking brilliant live tbf.

Diminishing returns the band.

First two albums are utterly fantastic though.

They’re a 3.5 really but I’m going 4. Two and a half really good albums, great live act, Keith Flint seemed like a GBOL. Smash My Picture still grates, wasn’t good at the time and has aged badly. Didn’t really bother with anything post FOTL.

2 Likes

First few records were excellent. Diminishing returns thereafter. Got them live a few times and they were always fucking great live. Was lucky enough to catch them in a small club in glasgow before they got huge.
Was really sorry to hear when keith died apart from being a phenomenal front man he was clearly a fucking right good guy.
And when firestarted came out the track and video seemed like it was from outer space or some shit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good 4 for the first 3 albums alone. Had a handful of decent bangers there after though. Reckon I would’ve picked MFTJG as my favourite if it wasn’t for giving Experience a reappraisal following Keith’s death. It’s such a game changer / benchmark / brain-melter of an album. I’d never really appreciated it fully until then/now.

Also, they were the first band I was properly obsessed with so they will always mean something to me even if I lost interest in their later output

Fucking loved the Dirtchamber Sessions

5 Likes

Bangin.

Only the first two albums though and then it was all pretty awful from there on in. Wore my cassette of Jilted out that summer though. So exciting.

2 Likes

Standard answer - Jilted and Fat YES, slim pickings thereafter. Responsible for one of my better rave experiences. Saw them live at the end of the last tour - still killed it in a corporate arena kind of way. Obviously feels bittersweet now…