đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” The Ramones

great band, even their late stuff is intermittently dead good
Joey’s one of the best frontmen ever

1 Like

Probably the easiest 5/5 to give, also amazed at the amount of 3s being given, have a word, yeah? Looking at all those hits from the Anthology, bloody hell, they wrote some absolute bangers. Hard to pick a favourite, just selected Pet Sematary as it’s a current favourite. Big fan of Rockaway Beach, 53rd and 3rd and as @hankscorpio said, I Believe In Miracles is excellent.

3 Likes

It’s ok just doing one thing if your songwriting is good enough. The songs on the first three albums are pretty much all absolutely fantastic and those records are just a 100% perfect combination of concept, material and execution. How many bands have made three perfect albums?

There are scattered highlights in their later work (when they did periodically try to expand their sound) but those first three albums are enough on their own to put them ahead of 99% of people who have ever released a record.

5 Likes

Find them kinda relentlessly boring. 2

Catching up on this while enjoying my morning dump and started thinking about dancing to Ramones at indie discos. An extra point.

An easy 5 for me, just so many bangers. And Johnny always seemed like a GBOL.

Kinda mad that they’re all gone now and yet Keith Richards is still with us.

4 Likes

This. Will check back on the thread at the close of play as a barometer as to whether to rectify or not.

1 Like

Each to their own and all that but I really can’t fathom how you’d find The Ramones boring. Doesn’t add up.

6 Likes

Like most people, I was a fan of the peak era stuff forever - but I finally discovered the gonzo brilliance of their 80s output about a decade ago via the Chrysalis Years Anthology album and they’ve been one of my favourite bands ever since. Easy 5/5.

1 Like

Went on a rather cheesy Rock history tour when I was in New York the other year and got the story behind the famous photo of the Ramones stood against the wall. Had never noticed it before but they’re all struggling to look the same height so some of them are on tiptoes.

Also apparently the lads got tired out walking to the wall which was only across the street from the studio. One of them threw a strop and cut the photo session short as they wanted to go home and sleep!

Also, 3/5 for me. Some excellent catchy songs but you only need to hear a few of them to get the gist

Absolutely brilliant. 5/5. The speed, the hooks, the brevity. Uncompromising dedication to one idea, executed perfectly.

5 Likes

Can we do a Super Furry Animals vote soon please?

3 Likes

Anyone saying they were too samey hasn’t really listened to them tbh

Also respect for them doing headline sets that were often less than half an hr long

10 Likes

Late career highlight. Might cover this.

7 Likes

Such a good band. Just nailed it perfectly. Remember one summer having Rocket to Russia on endlessly and it was a killer summer soundtrack.

Thanks to Spiderman my kids absolutely love them also, and even after hearing Blitzkrieg Bop a billion MORE times this last summer it still sounds like a banger of the highest order. Not many bands i can still enjoy once the little bastards get hold of them so a 5 for that alone. Also means i get to play them a lot of punk under the guise it sounds like ‘hey ho lets go’

One of my fav joey vocals

1 Like

Think we might need a ‘Ramones lyrics in capital letters’ thread soon.

1 Like

Used to be obsessed with this cover

3 Likes

Same. Used to play it very loud over and over again in my car. It’s so so good.

1 Like