🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Sex Pistols

Would recommend this video

1 Like

3 I guess. Very influential on lots of stuff I like and it’s a reasonably enjoyable album but not one I’ve ever fancied listening to very much.

As @Lo-Pan says, PiL were much better

5 Likes

Not as good as Blink 182 - 2.

6 Likes

Extraordinarily and perhaps shamefully I have never listened to a full Sex Pistols album although I reckon I’ve probably heard most of the songs they recorded at one time or another. I’ve always found most of that first wave of British punk thrilling in small doses but musically a bit uninteresting- basically speeded up meat ‘n’ potatoes rock music with lots of attitude. I reckon The Ramones did that better, with better songs.

The music that came immediately after this from bands like PIL, Wire, Joy Division, Magazine etc is far more to my taste.

I’d give them a 5 for cultural impact, a 2 for the music so I’ve settled for a 3.

2 Likes

Solid 3, decent pop band

2 Likes

Awful band - invented dumb manufactured sellout punk. Horrible group of people too. Can’t imagine what they offer that The Clash, The Ramones or The Stiff Little Fingers don’t do 10x better.

Pil were good though

Read somewhere that them reuniting in the 90s is what made Siouxsie and the Banshees decide to break up in embarrassment

2 Likes

And then much worse

What do you mean by that entire scene Ant? :blush:

“70s Punk” I guess.

He’s an utter bell curve.

2 Likes

The first boy-band.

1 Like

Think I only listened to NMTB from start to finish in the last couple of years. Enjoyed it more than I expected to but still felt like I’d already passed the point where I might get properly into it.

1 Like

Flora cuz it’s Vegan

Yes but we shouldn’t underestimate how important that swear on TV likely was in helping to push back the puritanical nature of TV.

1 Like

Lydon supporting Trump because he thinks he is going against ‘the system’ has to be the height of stupidity. Just another old bloke sucked into the Fox News wormhole these days isn’t he.

1 Like

Well, no, and by some considerable distance. The Monkees?

8 Likes

That’s a bit of a broad stroke but I’m guessing you mean the popularised version of events which is still venerated to some degree today? Can you explain what irks you about it in particular?

Nirvana is the only thing that comes close and there are MANY comparisons to those two explosions

I guess as I alluded to upthread “conformist non-conformity” is something that I just find really funny and embarrassing and I guess the more effort that is put into it the funnier it is. Like the thought of the physical act of someone spending time popping some safety pins on a leather jacket to appear dangerous and rebellious is really amusing to me.

It’s adolescent innit, absolutely fine and healthy but I can never understand borrowed/retrospective reverence for some else’s teenage angst.