Billy Joel 2.57
Bloc Party 2.41
Eminem 2.38
Mariah Carey 2.32
Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05
The Spice Girls 1.81

Today’s thread then…

This is not the Morrissey thread, there were 3 other members of The Smiths and I reckon they should be judged and rated like the other acts we’ve covered. So what do we think of the music of The Smiths…

0 voters

Can I just add a bit here and say that obviously certain topics and issues will come up in this thread, and we won’t all agree with each other (obv the art/artist debate has been going on elsewhere several times) but please let’s keep it civil and be respectful of our fellow community bedwetters.

16 Likes

Album

• The Smiths
  • Meat Is Murder
  • Hatful Of Hollow
  • The Queen Is Dead
  • Strangeways Here We Come

0 voters

Single

• Hand In Glove
  • This Charming Man
  • What Difference Does It Make?
  • Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now
  • William, It Was Really Nothing
  • How Soon Is Now?
  • Shakespeare’s Sister
  • Barbarism Begins At Home
  • That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
  • The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
  • Bigmouth Strikes Again
  • Panic
  • Ask
  • Shoplifters Of The World Unite
  • Sheila Take A Bow
  • Girlfriend In A Coma
  • I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish
  • Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
  • Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before
  • There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
  • Sweet And Tender Hooligan

0 voters

I’ll start this one off.

I fucking love The Smiths, have since I was about 14. Their music has soundtracked some very important and serious and wonderful times in my life. I’m giving them 5/5. Morrissey should be put down like the rabid fucking hound he’s become.

21 Likes

Actually think morrissey’s voice and lyrics were the only good thing about the smiths anyway, find the music side to be really boring and generic, any time they have instrumental sections it just doesn’t really go anywhere. 2/5

Much preferred Morrissey’s early solo stuff tbh but now I won’t ever listen to that again, ah well.

2 Likes

Liking this for the 2nd bit. The music is very far from boring. Andy Rourke on bass in particular is fucking brilliant

4 Likes
  1. Always thought Morrissey was an arse and never liked the music.
8 Likes

Good but I can’t really settle on a score for them because Morrissey’s such a piece of shit. Maybe I’ll be more able to appreciate them again when he dies.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Sorry that just sounds like landfill indie to me without the vocals behind it, what is the guitar doing? Very stodgy and messy with the bass as well imo, no room to breathe

Should probably give them an extra point because for the most part everything sounded like shit in the 80s from a production and space standpoint

I do agree with you about the vocals/lyrics being the best bit btw. I’m a lyrics man really and they are what set them completely apart. This is one of my favourite Smiths songs, and shows all at once a) what a selfish, pompous arsehole he always was and b) what a way with a turn of phrase he had. It’s the last song on the last album, around the time they were disintegrating and Marr was off collaborating with other artists…

2 Likes

Never been the biggest fan. I like them, but I probably haven’t gone out if my way to listen to them in over 6yrs. Highly influencial group. But Morrissey is a cunner so dunno where to go with this one.

1 Like

I’ve never liked them. Quite like some of Johnny Marr’s jangles and loved him in modest mouse. Always thought Morrissey was a complete test but was fairly surprised by his gradual unveiling. Mate who didn’t know me particularly well got me his autobiography, thought I’d give it a go for a laugh but it was trying far too hard to be taken seriously and consequently i gave up a few pages in.

Before any wiseass chimes in here, yes I do know that 90% of his lyrics were plagiarised.

3?

Don’t really miss listening to them

4 Likes

4/5 (for the music alone)

2 Likes

Genuinely looking forward to this @bornin69x essay…

1 Like

Great singles band, albums are mostly boring. 3/5

1 Like

Wildly overrated. I think they’re fine. Can’t imagine choosing to put on one of their albums in order to enjoy it. 3/5

2 Likes