🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Spice Girls

Hi! Time for another pop act I think. Let’s see how this goes.

First a look at the leaderboard

Artist Rating
Aretha Franklin 4.64
Neil Young 4.48
Otis Redding 4.34
David Bowie 4.31
The Beatles 4.31
Pixies 4.3
The Cure 4.28
Björk 4.27
Marvin Gaye 4.21
Stevie Wonder 4.17
PJ Harvey 4.17
Nirvana 4.15
Radiohead 4.13
The Supremes 4.13
Prince 4.11
Wu-Tang Clan 4.11
Kate Bush 4.07
OutKast 4.07
Portishead 4.03
Kendrick Lamar 3.97
Bob Dylan 3.97
Jimi Hendrix 3.93
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Massive Attack 3.89
Bruce Springsteen 3.84
The Clash 3.77
Blondie 3.73
Rage Against The Machine 3.71
ABBA 3.66
Kanye West 3.65
Blur 3.61
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48
Jeff Buckley 3.47
Madonna 3.4
Toots & The Maytals 3.35
The Smashing Pumpkins 3.3
Elton John 3.28
Kylie Minogue 3.27
Sugababes 3.22
Rihanna 3.19
The Prodigy 3.18
Led Zeppelin 3.16
Jay-Z 3.14
Taylor Swift 3.14
The Rolling Stones 3.09
The Strokes 3.03
Elvis Presley 3.02
Weezer 3
Girls Aloud 2.93
Britney Spears 2.85
Metallica 2.81
Green Day 2.81
Basement Jaxx 2.75
Oasis 2.71
Lady Gaga 2.61
Queen 2.6
Bloc Party 2.41
Eminem 2.38
Blink-182 2.21
Adele 2.05

And now…

a0b406ec4dc078e2c60dea59441a2700--girl-group-spice-girls

What’s the verdict?

0 voters

Best single

• Wannabe
  • Say You’ll Be There
  • 2 Become 1
  • Mama
  • Who Do You Think You Are
  • Move Over
  • Spice Up Your Life
  • Too Much
  • Stop
  • Viva Forever
  • Let Love Lead The Way
  • Holler
  • Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)
  • Voodoo
  • Goodbye

0 voters

This is a decent write up, brought to me a lot of awareness of how savvy they were. Enough for me to offset the largely awful music (which admittedly isn’t for me, despite being a huge pop fan, I think this stuff was always intended for those below the age of 12). 2 Become 1 is a jam tho.

2/5

1 Like

There are probably good arguments for why The Spice Girls are Good Actually but 12 year old colossalhorse listened to the radio a lot and would be absolutely livid if I didn’t give them a 1 for clogging up the airwaves for half my childhood.

This one’s for you little guy!

13 Likes

Gone for a 2. It’s easy to see them now as a bit of a joke pop act, but they were absolutely fucking huge at the time, and definitely broke a bit of ground for others to follow. The music is largely incredibly dull, but Stop is a very good single and easily their best work.

1 Like

Say You’ll Be There if the obvious banger, lads.

Anyway, for their cultural importance and for breaking some new ground for female pop music, I’ve gone for a 2.

Girl power :v:

Also taking part in le twonoi

Really interesting article that. Probably still go for a 1 though tbh.

Spice was the first album I ever bought.

3 Likes

Aqua have better tunes

Can’t wait to find out who else is correct about Viva Forever being their best (Goodbye in 2nd)

1 Like

Not really my thing, but they had some decent singles.

Back in the 90’s me and 4 girls from my office dressed up as the Spice Girls and ‘performed’ one of their songs (Who Do You Think You Are?) at an office night out. I was Ginger!
We rehearsed all the dance moves at lunchtimes in one of the empty floors of our office.

I remember before the performance we were all in a tiny cupboard getting out costumes on and I had to be taught how to put a bra on.

There’s pics somewhere at home…I’ll try and find them later tonight!

11 Likes

Gone for a 4. As a nine year old girl seeing five women SLAP while having loads of fun at the same time was an inspiration. They also paved the way for loads of influential early 2000s girl groups like sugababes.

The orchestral flourishes at the end of 2 become 1 are :100:.

Even if it was something the media dreamt up this whole idea that each spice girl had their own ‘personality’ was quite refreshing - I seem to recall that girl and boy bands were largely faceless aside from one ‘lead’. Now obviously geri and vicky B were more prominent but the whole enterprise seemed like five mates having a laugh (until they weren’t).

3 Likes

Not only were they shite, but hearing anything from the first two albums triggers horrendous memories of failing miserably to talk to girls at school discos whilst my classmates got off with the people I fancied.

Plus the undercurrent of British nationalism.

0 is too good for them.

1 Like

…have reviewed the leaderboard. I would rather listen to literally anything else on there. Feel well justified here.

If you don’t then I think a lengthy ban is in order.

2 Likes

Might post them in the Favourite Photos Of Bands thread.

4 Likes

5/5 as I want them to be higher than Weezer.

8 Likes

It’s hard not to be really revisionist here as obviously if you listen to any of their stuff now it sounds terrible. And it is.

But they were a really important group for a lot of people and at least had a bit of personality compared to a lot of the bland pop-dross from the late 90’s on.

2/5

1 Like

Was a real pain in the arse if your surname/username is Spicer. Even now I get variations of ‘Beardy Spice’ etc in any job.

8 Likes

I was going to give them 2/5 because it just felt a bit harsh and anti-pop to give them the lowest score possible, but as @colossalhorse says, they were everywhere in the mid-late 90s, and were pretty crap even at the time.

So yeah, I’m knocking a point off. 2/5 becomes 1/5

4 Likes