🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Strokes

hgatr

I know it’s early, and a bank holiday, but I need something to get me through work so let’s do another one. Firstly, the table after Joni, who has also been added to the playlist.

Artist Rating
David Bowie 4.31
Nirvana 4.15
The Supremes 4.13
Radiohead 4.13
OutKast 4.07
Kate Bush 4.07
Joni Mitchell 3.89
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48

Today let’s do Justin and the rest of the lads from The Strokes

So how good are they, really

0 voters

Best album:

• Is This It
  • Room On Fire
  • First Impressions Of Earth
  • Angles
  • Comedown Machine

0 voters

Best single:

• Hard To Explain
  • Last Nite
  • Someday
  • 12:51
  • Reptilia
  • The End Has No End
  • Juicebox
  • Heart In A Cage
  • You Only Live Once
  • Under Cover Of Darkness
  • Taken For A Fool
  • One Way Trigger
  • All The Time

0 voters

Other playlist suggestions etc encouraged as ever.

Highs are great, lows are terrible. 3/5

21 Likes

Few catchy numbers but overall definitely fall into the landfill indie genre.

15 Likes

Yeah I think that’s it. Is This It is probably one of the most important albums in my musical life, when it came out there was a lot of shite around and it was pretty exciting and different and really fucking good, and lead to me getting into Television, Ramones etc but I guess it’s been diminishing returns ever since. I saw them on the First Impressions tour though and they were brilliant.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re landfill, they inspired a lot of it though.

13 Likes

Definitely a case of diminishing returns as their discography progresses

2 Likes

They were certainly the catalyst. Perhaps I was lucky enough to have already got into the original artists by this stage which admittedly was quite early on as I would only be about 14/15…so therefore I think I just saw the strokes for what they really were- copycats.

3 Likes

I was 16 or so and still clinging on to Britpop and pop punk! I mean, they are pretty revivalist once you get into their influences I guess.

1 Like

Just alright i guess, few good songs, nothing special but not awful. Just one of those bands who hang around/forge a career based on that initial hype.

1 Like

I think New York City Cops needs to go on the playlist. I’m going to listen to Is This It on the way to work and make sure it’s still great.

3 Likes

It’s interesting though… I think of the strokes as a bit ‘meh’ because they wear their influences so much on their sleeve and yet with a band like Interpol I can see that they were heavily influenced and yet I think their own output was just as impressive.

2 Likes

I guess it depends a bit on your opinion of the influences in the first place. It’s a good point, I’d much rather listen to the ramones or television than the strokes (after ITI anyway) now but would still choose to listen to TOTBL over a lot of Interpol’s influences.

2 Likes

I think is this is (the song) automatic stop, and under control are all good songs.

1 Like

Under Control is very good, maybe their best song actually.

1 Like

Angles is quite good

It’s a 3 from me. This Is It is a 5. Although it’s derivative it was a breath of fresh air when things were in the doldrums after Britpop (Starsailor anyone?)

Production on the first album is a big part of its appeal.

Cba with their later output though.

4 Likes

I think they’re probably the epitome of a 3

3 Likes