🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Strokes

Yeah revising my vote to a two as culturally they definitely did shake things up after a period of utter boredom.

3 Likes

I don’t really know why they went big and rocky and started sounding like hair metal stuff. I suspected nick valensi must have really wanted to do guitar solos? and then there’s not really much point to them when they started sounding like that all the time.

Interpol are just a boring version of the strokes

1 Like

Be interesting to see the view on a band who were already really rich :wink:

5 Likes

They’re fine but they helped usher in one of the most boring and shit eras of music there was.

There is literally no reason whatsoever for any collection of blokes to form any more guitar bands.

(3/5)

4 Likes

Their greatest legacy might be a DiS meme tbh.

13 Likes

Casablancas has one of my favourite voices of all time but the rest of The Strokes aren’t up to his standard. Quite telling that the quality of material went down when the other lads started contributing to the songwriting.

Will always love Is This It and Room On Fire. First Impressions… has some very good material on it and the less said about the two albums after that the better. I only ever go back to ‘Taken For A Fool’ and ‘Welcome To Japan’ from them.

Got to see them in 2006 which was brilliant, and then again in 2015 which was a lot of nostalgic fun. Absolute spent force creatively though and have been for a long time.

2 Likes

2006 was when I saw them too and they were fantastic.

1 Like

I think they only ever got the hype they did because the musical landscape was really tragic when they were first becoming A Thing. I never found their early output particularly exciting and they were quickly surpassed by other bands that came up in the mid 00s. It’s a 3 from me, Clive.

Heart In A Cage is a certified banger though.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise they released another 2 albums after First Impressions. Certainly not going to bother with them now, and I didn’t really like First Impressions much anyway

I suspect they should be entries in Tone’s ‘Things that don’t exist’ thread.

4 Likes

Under Cover Of Darkness isn’t awful.

2 Likes

not listened to any of their records more than a handful of times. was before my time though really, can understand why people back then would have been impressed by them

Inexplicably popular band with only one great song (Last night) do not understand anything about how well revered they are.

3 Likes

I like the song that goes some people think they’re always right woah oah others are tired and uptight
is that juicebox?

1 Like

btw it goes without saying that i’m disappointed in you all by the joni mitchell score

11 Likes

You Only Live Once. Juicebox is the one that sounds like Mandy by Barry Manilow.

1 Like

I foresee a world where the strokes get a higher score than Kate bush and Joni Mitchell and lads that is when we know things are officially screwed .

3 Likes

Strokes will be 3.12 (102 votes) Thats my prediction anyway.

2 Likes

And the creamy middles?

1 Like