šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Strokes

Good band. Good live. 4/5. Bit of diminishing returns but there are some latter stage gems, thereā€™s a top one that sounds like aha on comedown machine, I think.

good how when you look up music videos from that era on youtube a lot of them have the mtv2 logo in the corner innit

6 Likes

is biting someones production style really grounds for being rip offs? I donā€™t think so but i guess ymmv

Is this it and room on fire are 10/10s. The 3rd and 4th are terrible. The last album was actually pretty good

4/5

2 Likes

I wonder how Beyonceā€™s ear is these days.

1 Like

Dour northern working class types with angry distorted guitars, guttural drawl and ā€˜skinny puppyā€™ T-shirts vs posed, jaded, generationally wealthy cool kids with angry distorted guitars, guttural drawl and ā€˜The Carsā€™ t-shirts

much of a muchness really

1 Like

I was just watching the start of this cause I used to watch it when I had it downloaded off Kazaa and I was wondering if Roman Coppola was hanging out with them at this point and then I saw it was directed by Roman Coppola and I think Roman Coppola is likely the key to their early success.

1 Like

If the strokes had started up like 10 years later Julian would be writing for BeyoncƩ. Dunno if the songs would have been any good due to his involvement though.

Absolutely dreadful band. Basically as dull as Coldplay just in a different way.

2/5 and only because of Justin Casablancas.

4 Likes

Love the first two records didnā€™t listen after that.

This is their best, right?

3 Likes

Fucking love that.

2 Likes

idk that never bothered me about them because the music is good. Class analysis in pop music gets a bit boring after you realise everyone is either very wealthy or quite poor

1 Like

Ahm oot

1 Like

see ya, seinfeld

BTW @anon19035908

are we going to have a HGWTR for Damon Albarn that covers Blur, Gorillaz, solo stuff & The Good The Bad & The Queen - cos that would be fun right?

Probably my favourite band ever. Stone cold 5.

3 Likes

Blur and Gorillaz are down for seperate threads, not sure thereā€™s much mileage in the rest.

1 Like

separate threads eh? hmm

Well they are, after all, seperate bands. I think theyā€™re diverse enough to have different fanbases etc.

5 Likes

Judging a band because bands they influenced were shitā€™s about the daftest thing iā€™ve ever heard.

The first Strokes LPā€™s as good as anything ever recorded. As good as On the Beach, Murmur, Sgt Pepper, Astral Weeks, Songs of Leonard Cohen, Five Leaves Left. Straight up 10/10. Fresh as a fucking daisy still and a bit like the Ramones debut always will be.

4 Likes