🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Supremes

hgatr

I’m on my lunch break and a bit bored so here’s another, hopefully slightly less controversial one to see us through the weekend!

Here’s how it’s looking after Kate Bush

Artist Rating
David Bowie 4.31
Nirvana 4.15
Kate Bush 4.07
Beyoncé 3.54
Bob Marley & The Wailers 3.48

This time, let’s vote on how good The Supremes were, really!

0 voters

Quick song poll

• When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes
  • Where Did Our Love Go
  • Baby Love
  • Come See About Me
  • Stop! In The Name Of Love
  • Back In My Arms Again
  • I Hear A Symphony
  • You Can’t Hurry Love
  • You Keep Me Hangin’ On
  • Love Child
  • I’m Gonna Make You Love Me
  • River Deep Mountain High
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

Went into domino’s and ordered a thin and crusty supreme. They gave me Diana Ross (5/5 solid gold pop)

3 Likes

Not my favourite Motown act but any Motown Act is better than anything else from a HGATR thread so far (except Beyonce maybe) so it’s a high vote from me.

4 Likes

5/5 from me. Probably the perfect, best ever pop group. Suffered a little from a few post-Diana line-up changes but so so many bangers.

2 Likes

I don’t see how they can be the Supremes and also a bit of a chicken. One of them has to be the best.

Singles band. 3/5.

Who are your favourite Motown act Tone?

Someday we’ll be together has the most lovely guitar in it

1 Like

Love that bit in The Wire where they keep playing ‘Love Child’.

1 Like

Welp, saw the thread title and was like ‘bleh Motown, 2/5’ then looked over that song list and realised they’ve had a load of belters so 4/5 it is

5 Likes

RUN RUN RUN IS THE ACTUAL BEST

1 Like

Difficult for me to look past The Four Tops in all honesty Funkman. It’s a crowded field though.

4 Likes

Until Ronnie Spector performed at Glastonbury I had been solidly of the belief that be my baby was a supremes song (it’s maybe the best pop song ever fwiw)

3 Likes

this is a really good post-Diana one

1 Like

It’s probably the genre (if you want call it such) with the highest hit/miss ratio in terms of associated acts. Hard to pick one.

Good in that I enjoy hearing them whenever I do, but not good in that I never put them on of my own accord. 3/5.

At the same time, they’re better than Nirvana so maybe 5/5?

Also the Supremes were responsible for the only time that Glee was good

‘Stop! In The Name Of Love’ is an absolute belter. Amazing group, need to look into the album tracks a little more so I can’t warrant a 5/5. 4/5 it is.