šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Walkmen

Eugeeeeeeeeeeeeene

Iā€™m lost

My colleagues include a Eugene and an Emma. Every day tests my self-control.

2 Likes

These guys

13 Likes

didnā€™t notice theyā€™d split up

1 Like

I love lisbon. I think it is my favourite album by the walkmen.

4 Likes

Always preferred You & Me, but Iā€™ve listened to Lisbon a lot this year due to the RSD reissue and itā€™s so great. Itā€™s well worth picking up on vinyl (sadly now in most of the sales!!) - really good pressing and bonus tracks are good too.

2 Likes

Think itā€™s a slow burner, both in the pacing and the songs themselves. But i love it. Red Moon, canadian girl, long time ahead of us. Has some really beautiful tender moments on there mixed in with some of the more anthemic tracks. Love the horns on it too. They really captured the nostalgic wintery sound well

2 Likes

this looks like they all werenā€™t fully on board but are now seeing the post, even though i know that isnā€™t true :smiley: amazing

2 Likes

listening to Bow and Arrows this morning for the first time in ages. Itā€™s so much better than i rememberā€¦ Iā€™ve always reverted to You and Me / later records for my Walkmen fix over the last few years. Beautiful. Theyā€™re such a great band

3 Likes

Hope we get a new album out of the reunion

9 Likes

Listened to Lisbon cycling to work in the rain this morning, what an album. Such a great mastery of dynamics across it. Love the moments where Hammy really stretches his voice and itā€™s like the rest of the guys are racing to keep up with him.

4 Likes

Just because I feel like it, I present my top ten favourite songs by The Walkmenā€¦

1. Thinking of a Dream I Had
  2. Seven Years of Holidays (for Stretch)
  3. Blue As Your Blood
  4. The Rat
  5. Line by Line
  6. Stranded
  7. Red Moon
  8. Heaven
  9. In the New Year
  10. Weā€™ve Been Had

That wasnā€™t easy.

7 Likes

Excellent idea and list! This is mine:

1. Rue the Day
  2. In the New Year
  3. Canadian Girl
  4. Red Moon
  5. Stranded
  6. Angela Surf City
  7. Heaven
  8. Woe is Me
  9. Thinking of a Dream I Had
  10. Roll Down the Line

Iā€™ll probably change my mind in a minute :wink:

2 Likes

Mine is mostly You and Me but there you go

1. I Lost You
  2. The Blue Route
  3. Heaven
  4. The Rat
  5. Juveniles
  6. Everyone who pretended to like me is gone
  7. Little house of savages
  8. In the new year
  9. Canadian Girl
  10. Postcards of tiny islands
3 Likes

Prob been mentioned here before but the recoys lp is well worth a listen. Itā€™s essentially the Walkmen just before the final line up (different bassist maybe) and itā€™s mainly early arrangements of songs from the first Walkmen lp. Dirt cheap on CD, or at least it used to be.

Here we go:

1. In The New Year
  2. The Rat
  3. Canadian Girl
  4. Blue As Your Blood
  5. Heaven
  6. Weā€™ve Been Had
  7. New Country
  8. All harms and the cook
  9. 138th Street
  10. Angela Surf City

Would have been much more comfortable with choosing 20 songs and being happy with it, as thereā€™s a bunch of great songs not on this.

Reallllllllllllly hope they tour next year.

4 Likes

Also, this is my favourite Walkmen song that isnā€™t a Walkmen song, nor does it have anything directly to do with The Walkmen

Though apparently Ezra interned for them in 2003(?), and Rostam obvs

2 Likes

I made this ages ago for @xylo. It isnā€™t 10 tracks.

2 Likes

Was wondering briefly whether Angela should be in my top ten, but the drums are just so :100:

1 Like

They are going down the LCD Soundsystem route then. So a residency in London at some point and that is it. Brilliant :face_with_diagonal_mouth: