šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ The Weeknd

House of Balloons is great - the title track into Glass Table Girls is an all-timer. Became more mainstream as he went on and whereas I canā€™t begrudge the man his solid gold house, I can cap him at a 3 and ask him to ponder his life choices.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that a little bit the point though? Always thought there was an element of character play going on (much like The Nationalā€™s whisky sodden affect or that time Eifel 65 pretended to be blue) although happy to be corrected on that front.

4 Likes

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

4 Likes

Pish. 1

2 Likes

Wrestlemania too so it has a dual effect on me :sweat_smile:

Coming from nowhere to release those 3 mixtapes in one year is worthy of a 5 on itā€™s own. They were absolutely stunning and his anonymity really added to the mystique around them.

How he managed to then go on to be one of the biggest popstars in the world still boggles my mind. He did it mostly on his own terms as well. Heā€™s done plenty of more poppy/ballady numbers but the song that really broke him was ā€œthe hillsā€ (over a billion hits on YouTube!) and it wouldnā€™t have been out of place on those mixtapes.

His latest album is probably his most cohesive mainstream release but for me the previous album ā€œafter hoursā€ is the best balance between his mixtape days and the big pop bangers needed to be a superstar.

Surprised he doesnā€™t get more attention in here given his indie roots but heā€™s fecking great. 5!

4 Likes

That song with the Siouxsie and the Banshees sample is terrible.

Thatā€™s all I have.
Sorry.

3 Likes

First mixtape I absolutely rinsed, itā€™s fantastic and had some genuine mystique. Glass table girls in particular was such a fucking grimy dark thing.

Reckon he cemented his name with his features on Take Care tbh, his vocal on Crew Love is absolutely searing and yr man Drake apes him all over that record (to great effect it should be added, always come out to bat for it)

Always watched him with some interest even though his first few post trilogy releases were mostly crap as I knew he was capable of making very well curated stuff plus that voice is absolutely remarkable - nice that his instrument alongside JT makes latter day Jacko completely unnecessary.

I Canā€™t Feel My Face deserves itā€™s own thread tbh, most blatant radio hit about drugs ever? Absolute monster anyway, came at a time when he needed to get his sound right and paved the way for him to become a mega star. Has since become a great singles artist and Iā€™ll be picking up a greatest hits when one comes out. The Daft Punk lads made him sound AMAZING and in turn he made Daniel Lopatin turn out stuff that you can actually enjoy rather than admire. Also enjoyed his fear and loathing aesthetic immensely.

Deffo a 4 from me, hope he keeps going and keeps doing interesting stuff - Iā€™d wager he will.

3 Likes

Shout out for appearing on AOTY as well

7 Likes

Liked house of balloons but kind of feel thereā€™s no need to deliberately listen to any of the stuff since then as it is so ubiquitous. I like some of the tracks Iā€™ve heard since then but canā€™t really imagine putting any of them on deliberately.

Heā€™s got some great stuff and a lot of shit

This is great

Some good features too

3 Likes

The score is imminent.

Damn, thought The Weeknd would have got more than 33 replies. Heā€™s one of the biggest stars In the world!

Iā€™m no fan but yeah thought there would have been a good bit of discussion about him

The Weeknd scores 2.55

• U2
  • The Weeknd

0 voters

R&B has a struggle on the ol dis.

Iā€™m not a big fan of the music but my friend is their touring bassist so I gotta go 3 for that alone. His voice kinda bugs me. Idk. I liked about 6 songs off starboy. Never been an artist I want to spend a ton of time with. Still very crazy to me that heā€™s one of the worlds biggest pop stars.

1 Like

U2 are now beating him in the poll? Shame on you DiS. SHAME.

3 Likes

Agree that The Morning is probably the best thing heā€™s ever done.

His early features were ridiculous as well. The feat. artist is normally expected to sing the hook or add a final verse but the bold Abel walks in and takes the entire first half of the song. Ends up owning the tracksā€¦

1 Like

New trailer for his TV Show is out, it looks like if anything it could be worse than Euphoria

1 Like