đŸŽ” How Good Are They Really đŸŽ” The xx

Anyway, 3.

1 Like

Can’t agree more with this, was wondering the same thing when I saw him in one of the best slots at Best Kept Secret this year.

2 Likes

Yeah they’re good aren’t they, first album is just really confident and well made, like they knew exactly what they wanted to do and smashed it tbh. Second album has some good tunes too. I like the little guitar solo on Chained at 1:58, it’s so simple and demonstrates how well suited Romy’s guitar playing is to the music.

The third album lost me a bit but I’ll give them a 4, they’re a sweet band

8 Likes

Saw them loads at the start when they were a four-piece (I wonder if Baria regrets leaving just before they became massive?) but the saturation of the first album put me off them for ages. Romy appears to be doing much more interesting stuff currently.

Yep. Great example of a band who immediately understands their strengths and just nails what they’re trying to do.

Actually thought the second record was very hardhly treated by the critics. I guess it doubles down on the moody atmospheric stuff when some might have wanted them to liven up a bit and deliver some radio friendly hits.

The track ‘Missing’ in the middle of that record is my favourite of theirs. Imagine it sounds really massive live (never seen them)

6 Likes

Iirc Baria was actually pushed out and tweeted to that effect :slightly_frowning_face:

Ohhh my bad.

No worries!! It always left a sort of bad taste in my mouth, but obviously they never gave the reasons away. It seems to have been a mistake because they’ve not released a good album since she left the group.

1 Like

It’s a 3 for the fact the first album was great but everything else after that just totally passed me by.

I’ve always liked this Jamie XX song too

1 Like

The debut is so fucking good. Haven’t listened to any of the others or any Jamie XX

1 Like

Peaking with the Intro to your first album must feel a bit shit tbf

12 Likes

A really really boring band

5 Likes

The first album is a genuinely weird object. There are very few albums in recent memory that both the alternative and mainstream rock press agreed as being experimental and interesting sonically, as well as having approachable and memorable tunes. I mean, I love it as much as my mum and dad, and that’s pretty high praise. Not really listened to their other stuff but I’ll give them a 3 for that album alone.

Hard to think of many other albums that did that (Funeral is one).

2 Likes

Same for Alt-J

1 Like

One thing I’ll say about them is that they seemed to have a really cool, progressive, relatively unpretentious image in the era that they emerged.

Note - I’m not from London.

2 Likes

Music to dilate the pupils of advertising executives and BBC playlisters. Almost can’t hear any of their tracks without expecting a DJ to whisper breathlessly about how sublime it was over the outro.

Still quite liked the first album though.

1 Like

also Jamie XX was responsible for a couple of great remixes:

2 Likes

Hard agree with all this. Coexist barely dips in quality from the debut and is a continuation of what they were doing when everyone was doting on them. I guess it suffered because it wasn’t really doing anything different and the debut was fully formed to the point of perfection, anything after that was going to be impossible to top.

4 Likes

Hard disagree on this. Second album felt like a big step down in quality, it doesn’t create the same atmosphere as the first record

Hard agree with this

1 Like

Debut sounded great at the time but has aged pretty badly. The other albums are very average. Don’t want to be mean, but her voice really isn’t good enough to carry the project beyond a one-and-done thing. Boring as sin live. They’re a 2/5 for me.

1 Like