šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ U2

Guess these things are the ebb and flow of being a big successful act, I donā€™t think itā€™s a bad thing if you get a bit lost to revisit what you know but itā€™s death if you choose to just stay there.

Couple of listens to Passengers today, I think it should have something to offer anyone that likes Zooropa. Can see the record companyā€™s pov regarding the artist credit, itā€™s not made for the weight of expectation a U2 album would have had then. Interesting reading it was originally intended to score The Pillow Book, I like lots of Greenaway films but not that, canā€™t imagine it working at all. I like it best where it most evokes some of the things Iā€™d read around it, ā€œnight musicā€ ā€œsounds like a city with the lights coming onā€ ā€œmade to be listened to on a bullet trainā€. Thereā€™s some jarring, unexpected things on there, I thought The Wanderer was the strangest U2 song, I was not ready for Elvis Ate America.

Miss Sarajevo is beautiful, I had forgotten it when i made my list, should have made my top ten

I thought this was lovely, thank you

1 Like
  1. Exit/Mothers of the Disappeared
  2. Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
  3. Seconds
  4. Numb
  5. Bad
  6. Gloria
  7. A Sort of Homecoming
  8. Ultraviolet
  9. Like A Song
  10. Wake Up Dead Man

War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Four albums where the closest they get to a bad song is Redhill Mining Town. They might not have done anything good for a long time but not many bands have got that hit rate.

2 Likes

Was this an RSD release or something? Iā€™ve always liked it, i think it was used as a walk on tune on one of the tours

It gets worseā€¦.

First half of this has real ā€˜irritating guy playing an acoustic guitar in the middle of a partyā€™ energy.

Bonoā€™s picture is completely jarring in that cover

Bongoā€™s vocals all sound like they were done in a single take over Zoom too. Serious ā€˜will this doā€™ energy to the whole thing.

Yeah apparently the other three photos are from the Pop era, whereas Bongoā€™s looks like itā€™s straight out of Live Aid for some reason.

My U2 Top 10ā€¦

1. Love Is Blindness
  2. Your Blue Room
  3. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
  4. Lemon
  5. Until The End of The World
  6. Bad
  7. Tryin To Throw My Arms Around The World
  8. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
  9. Babyface
  10. Moment of Surrender
2 Likes

My U2 Top 10. Not given it much thought but Iā€™ll post it now or regret it.

1. Bad
  2. A Sort of Homecoming (massively underrated IMHO)
  3. Mofo (by far the best thing on Pop)
  4. Lemon
  5. So Cruel
  6. One
  7. Exit (the second half of Joshua Tree is actually great, love how this song explodes at the end)
  8. Mothers of the Disappeared
  9. Out of Control (best of their early post-punk ragers)
  10. Love is Blindness
5 Likes

Donā€™t know much beyond the obvious so:

1. With Or Without You
  2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  3. Pride (In The Name of Love)
  4. Where The Streets Have No Name
  5. I Still Havenā€™t Found What Iā€™m Looking For
  6. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
  7. Mysterious Ways
  8. Bullet The Blue Sky
  9. The Fly
  10. Even Better Than The Real Thing
1 Like

I do love doing song lists.

1. With Or Without You
  2. One
  3. All I Want Is You
  4. The Fly
  5. Numb
  6. Bad
  7. Sometimes You Canā€™t Make It On Your Own
  8. Desire
  9. Angel Of Harlem
  10. Where The Streets Have No Name
1 Like

Poll? Must have slipped my mind. Will submit later on when Iā€™ve had a moment to ponder

1 Like
  1. I Will Follow
2 Likes

Great shout and would have included it if Iā€™d remembered.

This is brilliant

1 Like

hell yeah

3 Likes

I really like ā€˜Moment of Surrenderā€™ and almost put it in my 10 but the line ā€œI was punching in the numbers at the ATM machineā€ is a real bugbear. Itā€™s such a clunky and jarring line for me.

2 Likes

Unforgettable Fire (as an album) is really uneven but the great stuff is properly great. Homecoming, Bad, Pride, and Wire (which I forgotā€¦damn!) are all some of their absolute best. Great mix of early U2 grit and more Joshua Tree atmosphere.

Although I can certainly take or leave Elvis Presley and Americaā€¦

1 Like

1 Sunday Bloody Sunday
2 New Years Day
3 I Will Follow
4 Electric Co
5 Where The Streets Have No Name
6 Pride
7 All I Want Is You
8 I Still Havenā€™t Found What Iā€™m Looking For
9 Discotheque
10 Hold Me, Thrill Meā€¦

1 Like

Now THATā€™S a deep cut. Good song though.

3 Likes