šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ WHY?

Was absolutely obsessed with alopecia and elephant eyelash when they came out. There was some good stuff on eskimo snow too, but definitely a step down and everything after that basically doesnā€™t exist. Think how good they are is directly proportional to when he got really buff -thatā€™s when the decline started .

This was always my favourite

7 Likes

sometimes I claim to know a guy but I canā€™t tell you what his hands look like

6 Likes

Always found this line from Gemini strangely beautiful:

BATHED, SHAVED AND OILED, YOUR LEGS
ARE TWO SKINNY DOLPHINS SWIMMING
BETWEEN THE MATTRESS AND THE LAYERS OF BEDDING

I also used to really like the Elephant Eyelash line from the same song, until I read an interview with Yoni where he said that he was just talking about an erection. That took some of the romantic magic away.

4 Likes

Probably a 5/5 if Iā€™m being honest. Alopecia is one of my ATD albums. Elephant Eyelash is excellent and Eskimo Snow is decent in patches. Donā€™t really care that the quality has dipped, the quality of those albums alone is a 5/5. Strawberry is an excellent track.

7 Likes

Because itā€™s nice to talk about and rate bands I guess

17 Likes

Lots of albums missing before Elephant Eyelashā€¦ Oaklandazulasylum for example?

3 Likes

5 for some very powerful formative memories

1 Like

From Wikipedia:

From 1997 until 2004, Wolf released music under the stage name Why? . In 2004 he transferred that name onto his newly founded band. Thereafter he has been credited for his solo work as Yoni Wolf.

1 Like

I think I listened to Elephant Eyelash once and then just gave the CD away.

Poor manā€™s Subtle

3 Likes

I thought that might be the reasoning.

The cumulative weight of all my chain letter curses.
Something about this is clowns with knives.
An ambulance siren searching for an injured person.
That ainā€™t no god itā€™s just a hedge on fire.

2 Likes

Probably a 4 from me. Love love Alopecia and Elephant Eyelash is great too. As mentioned above, such an interesting lyricist. Also always had a soft spot for Mumps Etc even though that seems to be the one that all the critical press hated.

Also a 4/5 for Hymieā€™s basement and a strong 3/5 for Clouddead.

5 Likes

I reckon if I wanted to cringe my bollocks off I could go back and look at all the Facebook statuses I posted in my early 20s which were WHY? lyrics adapted to fit into the ā€œWhat are you doing?ā€ format of the statuses at the time.

11 Likes

Cut my DNA with rubber traits, pull apart the double helix like a wishbone

2 Likes

Fatalist Palmistry was my lyrical highlight as a whole song I reckon, there are turns of phrase from other songs that I love more but I think Fatalist Palmistry has the most ā€œbang for buckā€ in terms of lyrics I like.

I sleep on my back cause itā€™s good for the spine and coffin rehearsal
I know a psychic who reads her own palms and her findings are personal
She keeps her fists shut tight and she sleeps on her side, maybe she knows something I donā€™t know

Your cat clawed out my eyes while I was distracted by your smile, and now my sockets sit like empty catchers mitts waiting

Thereā€™s a moth flock in my gut growing

And when we say your name our tongues catch flames
And you wonder why we ainā€™t got nothing to say

Iā€™m lucky to be under, the same sky that held, the exhale from your first breath, like a ring on a pillow of clouds

9 Likes

The Joyful Noise ā€˜golden ticketā€™ songs they did were an interesting experiment (if you bought a record with a golden ticket inside, Why would write a song about you) but very hit and miss. Thought Murmurer was a tune though

Early Papa Roach lyrics needed some work were probably better tbh

2 Likes

That song was literally written about a DiSer. I canā€™t remember which username it was now thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be doing a massive post in this thread. My 2nd most listened to artist of all time. Need to find the time to do so thoughā€¦

3 Likes