šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Wu-Tang Clan

Oh definitely, I get that too, Iā€™m just saying that people (not specifically Rarity) use the ā€˜before my timeā€™ thing to dismiss something theyā€™d otherwise enjoy entirely and not discover it later.

1 Like

Another element with Wu Tang is how fucking good they are at talking. Absurd amount of charisma and gift of the gab in one collection of people.

5 Likes

Saw this on MTV base while very, very unsober, and found it absolutely terrifying; still found it pretty scary the next dayā€¦

ā€œYo, blow my nose for me, manā€ is such a ridiculous sentence to start such a banger with

2 Likes

In terms of comedic storytelling Methā€™s verse in this absolutely kills me.

ā€œSheā€™s asthmatic and you laughing son, I bumped my toe on the night stand just running tryinā€™a grab my gunā€

Bill motherfucking Murray.

1 Like

Iā€™ve said this before but it canā€™t be overstated how important these two Limp Bizkit/Wu-affiliated tracks were in getting me to actually investigate and fall in love with hip hop. Cheers Fred, mate.

5 Likes

This was the one that did it for me

Well, that and J5.

4 Likes

5/5

I went for 4/5. They might be great, but they donā€™t push my hip hop buttons like Beastie Boys do (have we done them yet?)

+1 for the way they handled the whole Martin Shkreli thing: Martin Shkreli's $2m Wu-Tang Clan album seized by federal court | Music | The Guardian

-1 for the fact that the Bjork / Wu Tang sessions have never been released: Bjƶrk and the ā€˜lostā€™ Wu-Tang Clan sessions: are we really missing out? | Bjƶrk | The Guardian

Not yet, but we will.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re just so good (well, were). Love how cryptic it all was too - they just blew me and my mateā€™s minds and weā€™d spend ages trying to decode what they were talking about. 26 years later and certain lines are only now making sense to me (U-Godā€™s book is great for this). The way they broke out and got so big, all independently, pre internet - itā€™s pretty amazing. Watched the Mics and Men doc recently - pretty good. Worth a look.

1 Like

Where did you watch it?

Stole it off the internet. Wanted to wait for a legit source. Couldnā€™t.

1 Like

Excellent, now I can tell the cops I only did it cause you did it first.

1 Like

7 Likes

It still freaks my nut out to this day how you got several rappers who could be considered among the greatest of all time, plus several others who were nothing short of great, each with their own distinct personalities, plus one of the greatest hip hop producers ever come up within one crew. Created their own world within the rap game, and one with so much great material that any fan can get lost in.

First Wu album is untouchable, second is great, third is very good. You can forget the rest, but you canā€™t judge the Wu without the solo stuff. Cuban Linx I and II, Iron Man, Supreme Clientele, Fishscale, Pretty Toney, Liquid Swords, Tical and Return to 36 Chambers are all pretty classic records. Plus youā€™ve got the highlights of the affiliated stuff such as Meth and Red, Gravediggaz etc.

Would have to leave plenty of great stuff off a top 20 albums list, PLUS THEY MADE 36 CHAMBERS. How can that be anything but a 5/5?

16 Likes

Oh yeah, thatā€™s not what I meant at all. Itā€™s more that Iā€™m not really big on hip hop in general so itā€™s not something Iā€™m going to seek out so by the time I was listening to music on the reg Wu-Tang werenā€™t getting much play hence my unfamiliarity. This is in comparison to the likes of Jay-Z and Eminem and Ja Rule who were all very prominent so Iā€™m naturally more aware of their sound.

1 Like

Oooh just remembered how much I like this mixtape.

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/raekwon-we-wanna-thank-you-new-mixtape.115551.html?song-2501

There was a time when you could just listen to Wu-affiliated hip hop if you wanted. There was so much stuff. Some of my favourite rap music is the super obscure mid 90s Wu spin off stuff. Blokes in army fatigues rapping about the Illuminati :heart_eyes:

2 Likes