How good are you at running?

Glad I’m not the only one who thought that…

1 Like

Had a look at my local parkrun and 18:00 would be 5th out of 410

Was regularly outrun by people I ran with at the time, so never felt that good. And I also used to run a shit tonne then too, so having that as my ‘ceiling’ is a bit depressing.

Guessing they were proper running guys. Only person I know who’s significantly sub-18 for 5k is a running coach and a 2:45 marathon runner

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve run anywhere in the last decade tbh. I’m not of an athletic build. I can go along fine for 10 metres or so and then I get a strong sense of my impending death and have to stop.

2 Likes

fine over a 5k but a proper wheezing mess if i run 100 yards for a bus :thinking:

Somehow just can’t do the movements, I swear I can walk faster than I can run.

Also my knees are dodgy af so really it’s a lost cause.

Get incredibly sweaty and deep breathy within seconds of starting any exercise, but can then maintain at that sweaty mess level for ages

1 Like

Yeah, both serial marathon runners, county champion type people at school. Good to run with them sometimes because you push harder, but ultimately depressing and demotivating.

1 Like

I lived with one of them in Spain and he used to do basically do what I would consider huge hill sprints while talking on the phone.

Read a book last year by a Scottish bloke who was just under elite status for running in the UK (2:20 or so marathon) then goes to live in Ethiopia for 18 months and it’s basically the same as you’ve said there

1 Like

Running in Scotland: Haha fuck yeah!!! Yes!!

Running in Ethiopia: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.

I have done four half marathons the quickest of which was 1:56 - I have, however, not run a single time since pre-Covid times so I would be truly, truly abysmal now

You have run your fucking mouth though

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve run my fucking mouth alright!

1 Like

Not great but I think it’s an asthma thing rather than fitness.

Can spend hours and hours on a bike, no bother. Can do 5k on the treadmill without too much trouble but can only manage a few hundred metres outdoors before my lungs feel like exploding.

running on a treadmill is easier for me because it regulates my pace for me. sometimes when I’m running outdoors, I’m completely gassed within the first 1k because it turns out I’ve been running far more quickly than I should. first 2k for me is always about just getting a breathing rhythm together and generally getting into the groove.

my ankles cause me some pain + hindrance, but I can go

would prefer not to unless I wasn’t carrying anything

best instance of this was maybe in 2018 when I missed getting on the 142 with my friends and sprinted two stops - not that short of a sprint, a sustained one like an 800m race - from Piccadilly Gardens to get it

felt pretty smug

he’s always given off gazelle vibes in selfies

1 Like