šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ 3 Feet High And Rising

Yeah my work VPN blocks that site so Iā€™ll need to do it another time.

1 Like

Indeed. Well, some I ripped myself, but they did give away everything via a Dropbox link years ago.

2 Likes

7 years ago! Fuck, could have sworn it was only 2 or 3 years ago.

2 Likes

I was funny - all done on a free Dropbox link that broke.

Some of the MP3s still had tags from the 'blogs that De La Soul had themselves sourced the MP3s from!

God I love this album. Was so excited to get a pre-order in for the vinyl release in September.

Easy 10.

Managed one listen yesterday. I donā€™t think youtube helps here, as the adverts and the skits tend to jointly distract a little from the actual music.

Itā€™s obviously quite a breezy, confident sound. As mentioned before, I donā€™t really like hiphop, but itā€™s an album Iā€™d be fine to have on, although Iā€™m unlikely to ever choose it myself. I do know a number of the songs on it. I doubt listening to it a load more times is likely to change my opinion of it a huge amount.

A 6 feels about right from me. Tempted to abstain, as no doubt Iā€™ll end up being made to feel guilty for not liking it more.

1 Like

Think itā€™s an 8 for me. Itā€™s a good album from a group who went on to greater things, it is a few notches down from Buhloone Mindstate which is a real 10/10.

Somehow I am not sick of The Magic Number even after working in the 3 mobile network call centre for years where it was the hold music for a few years. I have voted for it in honour of this.

2 Likes

Yeah, agreed. Didnā€™t like BM at the time because I didnā€™t give it a fair chance. It felt really out of place in 1993 hip hop to me and took me ages to go back to.

Stakes is High probably second, then this neck and neck with De La Soul is Dead. Such a great run of albums. So personal. You really feel like youā€™re getting to know them over the course of a decade.

Iā€™m sure most people interested in De La Soul have already hear the podcast with Prince Paul but just in caseā€¦

1 Like

Fine not to like stuff and, TBH, a 6/10 to an album from a genre youā€™re not that into which you had to listen to with ad breaks seems impressively high :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve given it an 9 which feels as high I can reasonably go. Maybe I should give it an 8 due to not owning it or something but it was such a good listen through and it feels so important to my past, people talking about it and the singles that you heard a lot. So itā€™s a nostalgic 9 for me.

Iā€™ve given it a few listen during the week. I was surprised hearing Say No Go again that the Hall & Oates sample works really well together with the Detroit Emeralds sample. I had remembered it sounding clunky but itā€™s not at all. Nearly went for that as the best track but like others went for the predictable Eye Know option in the end. Apart from the singles I recognised Buddy as well which is a really good track. I see itā€™s on Spotify so I think that got chosen in one of the music league hip hop rounds so thatā€™s why I know it

Iā€™ve gone for a 7

Ha yeah, what is that about? Seems really out of place with the rest of the album

2 Likes

Might have been the first and only time I listened to it. Instant skip ever since - even on cassette!

Currently waiting on an 8.42, an 8.48 an 8.49 and either an 8.40 or 8.50 for a beautiful run of ten.

8.46 for 3 Feet High And Rising. @paulo can you pick a track that isnā€™t Eye Know?

2 Likes

Even though I didnā€™t vote for it, itā€™s gotta be Potholes in my Lawn

Thanks! Hopefully De La Soulā€™s stuff comes onto streaming services at some point so I can add it to the playlist

I think thatā€™s why he voted for that one:

Ah, nice one. Might add Buddy as well as an interim measure

Actually didnā€™t know it was on streaming, so thatā€™s a pleasant surprise haha