💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 69 Love Songs

Ah, thanks. I’ll let you know what I’m doing for 15th February although i think we’re less like to clash on that

1 Like

R-2866206-1316877984.jpeg

8 Likes

I prefer [looks up The Wurzels’ discography] Golden Delicious

2 Likes

6/10. Too long to digest in one sitting, and quite often cba listening to discs 2 and 3. quality control is somewhat lacking. But some very good tracks in amongst it all.

4 Likes

It’s not perfect of course (how could it be given the scale) but it’s pretty amazing. There is a bit of filler and it sometimes slips over into a kind of camp whimsy that does nothing for me, but in reality there are 30 or 40 really good songs and probably 5 or 6 absolutely great ones. I don’t think that you can overestimate what an achievement that is. Very hard to mark but I’ve gone for an 8.

2 Likes

Whilst I don’t listen to the album in its entirety ever and there are a great number of tracks I never listen to in isolation the great tracks are truly great - witty and warm and funny and sad - just great songwriting. I also really appreciate the ambition of releasing an album like this so I’m gonna give it a 9.

Think most of my faves are on disc 1 but dunno if that’s just due to my attention span waning or not. There’s loads of great stuff knocking about in there, always reveals a new gem every time you dive back in, and it’s frankly an absurd project that TMF pulled off really well.

Even if there’s something you’re not feeling it’ll be over in 2 minutes so that’s ok. However a triple album of anyone is too much for me. Somewhere between a 7 and 8, I’ll have a relisten this week.

1 Like

Never listened to it, obviously, who has time for that

1 Like

I made a 5 songs from each disc playlist earlier last year, which I think might be a good entry point for people who are a bit overwhelmed by 69 songs (which I was for ages):

5 Likes

I go through phases with the Magnetic Fields. Sometimes I really love them and others I find his voice and schtick so annoying that I can’t get through an entire song.

I’ve been in one of the latter stages for so long that I’m not sure I’ll ever really come round to them again, but even so there are about 40 songs on that list up there that I can hum despite not having heard them for upwards of 5 years. Probably a high 8 for that alone.

tl;dl

4 Likes

I mean the whole thing done in one sitting is long.
But like, how many of us are working from home and have extra time these days because of no commute, anywhere else to go, anything to do?
Could listen to it all quite easily even if you stuck it on when working from home.

Been a fair bit of time the past 10 months m9

1 Like

Could listen when picking out fifty matches for one of the wrestler threads

4 Likes

yeah, for podcasts.

nah that’s a deeply ritualistic practice that must strictly be carried out in silence.

1 Like

lots of bands have made whole careers out of ripping it off

1 Like

gonna give it a 10 out of personal bias I reckon but yeah just lovely tunes, great lyrics, proper hair etc

1 Like

Thin end of the wedge stuff for me. I’d um and err over giving OK Computer a 10/10 because Let Down is about 90 seconds too long.