💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Definitely Maybe

9.06 for Spirit Of Eden which means we have a new leader

This week is Oasis - Definitely Maybe. The tunes and haircuts may be proper but how good is it really?

0 voters

Best track:

• Rock ‘N’ Roll Star
  • Shakermaker
  • Live Forever
  • Up In The Sky
  • Columbia
  • Supersonic
  • Bring It On Down
  • Cigarettes & Alcohol
  • Digsy’s Dinner
  • Slide Away
  • Married With Children

0 voters

Next week’s album:

• Joanna Newsom - Ys
  • Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
  • Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
  • Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows
  • Duran Duran - Rio

0 voters

I like it. Only one of theirs I enjoy. 8

2 Likes
Position Album Rating
1 Spirit Of Eden 9.06
2 Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven 8.80
3 It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 8.51
4 Marquee Moon 8.47
5 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
6 Spiderland 8.44
7 Loveless 8.24
8 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91
9 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54

A few half decent tunes but ultimately a huge force for evil, musically-speaking. 3

5 Likes

I like Live Forever, it has a great swagger but this is the gateway proper lads and can never be forgiven for it.
It seems more rounded than other Oasis albums because they’re ripping of the Stones and T Rex, not just the Beatles on this one.

Get in the bin,

2 Likes

PISH

That’s all the detailed analysis I can offer

6 Likes

I voted Rio for you, JM

3 Likes

I’m slightly baffled at Spirit of Eden getting such a high score. It was definitely interesting, moments of brilliance…but come fuck on, lads.

9 Likes

Very true

1 Like

Thanks but after last time i realise it’s a lost cause so I voted for 100 Broken Windows

6 Likes

Probably listen to it once a year at most, and there’s definitely 2-3 songs that don’t amount to much, but it would be a betrayal of my teenage self if I give this anything lower than 9.

Easy to resort to cliches when you talk about Oasis, but there really is a swagger and urgency to this album that I think is pretty much unmatched. Liam’s voice was brilliant at this point and matched with Noel at the peak of his songwriting.

Best song is Slide Away, with Columbia just behind. Might put my big coat on later and go marching about with this on my headphones.

7 Likes

As for Definitely Maybe if you drop the 12 Bar Blues Playschool Dirge of Shakermaker then I reckon it’s an 8. I’ll give it a 7 I think. Every track a rip off/unimaginative basically, but done so well I don’t care.

4 Likes

Hard to disentangle it from its cultural baggage and in particular from all the awful music that followed - both that made by Oasis themselves and by all their lumpen followers.

It’s tempting to jump on the inevitable bandwagon and claim it’s a ‘bad’ record when considered on its own merits but it plainly isn’t. It doesn’t reinvent the wheel but even at its worse it’s a collection of solid meat n potatoes rock songs, competently played and sung by the most charismatic rock star of his generation. Occasionally it’s even a bit better than that. If truly bad albums were no worse than this we’d be lucky.

I can’t imagine wanting to listen to it in 2020 but I reckon 6 is a fair mark.

9 Likes

So, so shit. Set the bar for British guitar music terrifyingly low for years afterwards. 1/10 :+1:

7 Likes

I’m struggling to to give it more than a 5. A lot of the tracks are a bit nothing-y (Rock N Roll Star, Bring It On Down, Up In The Sky), the tracks I do like I’ve heard so many times that I don’t ever want to hear them again and Shakermaker is terrible. Prefer What’s The Story…

Loved it when it came out and still enjoy it whenever I go back.

Noel’s lyrics are never strong but they work really well on some tracks here. There’s something about the yearning to escape your provincial working class roots that’s appealing to me.

Important to forget the baggage that came with later, increasingly poor, releases and remember that this album was a breath of fresh air for British music when it came out.

Slide Away and Live Forever are particular highlights.

Made a big impression on 15 year old me, and millions of others. 9/10.

5 Likes

In the interest of fairness I’m still going to give it a listen like I have all the other HGIIR albums so may change my vote

wasn’t around for the cultural moment, both seem like twats, Stone Roses are always going to be the “swagger” band that actually matter to me, only 3 good songs on the whole thing

3/10

1 Like