💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Endtroducing.....

Untrue slots into the top 10 with 8.43. Those 8.4s are getting a bit congested

This week is DJ Shadow - Endtroducing…… @1101010 I’ve included the dots just for you. How good is it really?

0 voters

1 Like

Best track:

• Best Foot Forward
  • Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt
  • The Number Song
  • Changeling
  • Transmission
  • Stem/Long Stem
  • Transmission 2
  • Mutual Slump
  • Organ Donor
  • Why Hip Hop Sucks In '96
  • Midnight In A Perfect World
  • Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain
  • What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1 - Blue Sky Revisit)
  • Transmission 3

0 voters

Leaderboard:

Position Album Rating
1 Spirit Of Eden 9.06
2 Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven 8.80
3 Hounds Of Love 8.79
4 Illmatic 8.70
5 It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 8.51
6 Marquee Moon 8.47
7 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
8 Spiderland 8.44
9 Untrue 8.43
10 Kid A 8.41
11 Illinois 8.34
12 Loveless 8.24
13 Mezzanine 7.98
14 100 Broken Windows 7.97
15 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91
16 The Blue Album 7.71
17 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
18 Is This It 7.40
19 Definitely Maybe 5.90

Next week’s album:

• The Breeders - Last Splash
  • Janet Jackson - Control
  • Taylor Swift - 1989
  • Madonna - Like A Prayer
  • Beyoncé - Lemonade

0 voters

Choose some women you bastards!

17 Likes

it’s pretty good. Haven’t been able to find anything to match it since, DJ Krush might have done it first but this is better

given the huge success of vaporwave I have no idea why there aren’t hundreds of clones out there. Is it something to do with music licensing?

1 Like

This album was pretty huge for me, in terms of having my eyes opened up to just how creative you can be with samples (especially at the time when I listened to it in the mid / late 00s - can’t imagine how much time and effort he put into this album in the 1990s!) and was one of the key albums that helped me to really appreciate and learn how to listen to hip-hop. The atmosphere of this album is pretty much perfect - a warmer and more nostalgic version of that night-time “magic” that I get out of Burial’s Untrue; a sleepy noir feeling that always takes me back to doing my paper round on the dark winter mornings for some reason.

This and Four Tet are pretty much what got me started on dicking around with samples in audio editors so thank youse both.

I’d say The Private Press, though it’s not quite as good, is definitely worth listening to as well. In some ways, I think you could argue it’s more ambitious, though it lacks the atmospheric consistency that makes Endtroducing… so special, and I have never really explored beyond there with him.

11 Likes

Can we suggest albums for inclusion? If Actor by St. Vincent isn’t on the list, I would love to post an over-long screed about how good that is

7 Likes

I’d buy this. If Private Press had come first then it would be the album everyone remembers. It’s less consistent, but those highs are absolutely skyscraping. Fixed Income in particular is an all time favourite.

4 Likes

Not only is it literally perfect, but it comes attached to many many substantial memories and moments. Both objectively and subjectively, a total and complete 10.

3 Likes

Was at uni when this came out. I listened to mainly guitar music before. This changed so much for me. Near perfect album 9/10

2 Likes

An album I listened to a lot when it was released at a formative period. I return ocassionally and it definitely stands up. I don’t think I understood at the time that the way the record was put together was pushing boundaries, I just enjoyed the music.

Never felt any big emotional attachment to it though so more of an 8/9 for me.

1 Like

The only reason my friends and I checked it out way because of the Metallica sample on it, so it would have been one of the first electronica albums I ever listened to. If we’re calling it Hip Hop it’s definitely the first Hip Hop album I listened to.
It has a great mood and fantastic tracks but tails off a bit towards the end.

1 Like

Yeah it’s got the hallmark of a perfect 10 - feels like there should be tons more like it but nothing ever comes close and scratches that itch, it’s pretty flawless.

Midnight in a perfect world is an all time late-night listen and I still get excited when I hear a track that was sampled on it.

1 Like

Reckon these should just be the next 5 albums and the scores should decided in what order we give them all 9s and 10s (and also let’s have Beyoncè’s self titled because that’s her true masterpiece).

Still can’t believe how low you people scored Miseducation fgs

Entroducing is cool. Maybe an 8. I’ll listen a couple of times and read everybody’s thoughts before I vote I think.

1 Like

When I starred uni in 94 I got big into Britpop and modern guitar music. But basically everything I bought was stuff everyone else owned, that we’d all danced to, etc. Not sure there was a single CD I owned that wasn’t on most/all of my mate’s shelves. (Partly that was because I only started buying CDs in Jan 95.)

Anyway, at a certain point I heard High Noon on the radio and I was fully in. Loved it and the next day I went to buy it.

I saw the album and grabbed it just assuming the track was on there. Of course it wasn’t but I didn’t care because Endtroducing… was so fucking incredible.

Loved ever bit of it including the ultra cool vinyl-like packaging with that weird cloth-like bag the CD came in.

And it felt like the first time I’d really found music that none of my close mates were giving a shit about but also I would find others on my course were big fans. I massively improved my life, getting into hip hop and other stuff, remembering that actually I had liked loads of hip hop back in the 80s.

Such a good album, so atmospheric and full of ideas.

6 Likes

Really dislike this album. Some of the more laid back tracks are merely ok, but I hate that big bombastic drum sound he uses on a few tracks. I’m also knocking off a point for the smug, self righteousness of 'Why hip hop sucks in ‘96’. Loads of great hip hop released that year that was better than this mopey shite.

Genuinely think RJD2’s ‘Deadringer’ did this sort of thing way better too and was alot more fun.

3/10

1 Like

When I was 14, my mate Tom who was into hip hop gave me a tape that was the first J5 album on one side and this on the other and if he hadn’t then I’d probably be a Britpop obsessive with a Weller haircut now. Absolutely opened my eyes to a world away from guitar music, and changed how young me thought about the process behind the music I loved. It’s a 10. I love it.

6 Likes

I can’t agree with this. It’s got some good stuff but there’s nothing that gives you the shivers like Stem/Long Stem or sprinkled throughout.

I think obviously the originality of an album vs the second would have raised Private Press but then Endtroducing… would have been like The Bends is to Pablo Honey.

Yeah. I love Endtroducing and it still stands up imo, but always hated this. Seems even more ridiculous now he’s spent the next two decades moaning how he hates modern music even more. As you say, there were so many ridiculously good hip hop albums that year too. ATLiens is aeons better than anything DJ Shadow ever touched

1 Like

Such an under rated album.

5 Likes