💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Endtroducing.....

Gonna give Endtroducing a 7. As a kid into rap music, it was actually a gateway into electronic and other forms of instrumental music and was one of my favourite albums as a teen. The production hasn’t aged that well, though I do like the vibe/atmosphere of the whole thing, even if it is carried by a few standout tracks and sags a bit towards the end. Due to being a formative album, I’ll get my copy of the LP out once or twice a year for a spin, but if I’m honest, it doesn’t feel as magical as it did all those years ago. Wonder if a teenager now would get it at all.

1 Like

answered your own query in the same sentence :wink:

There were quite a few clones I reckon, although more prevalent in the 2000s underground scene. I’d count RJD2’s Deadringer as a bit of a clone, but also releases by lesser know people like Joe Beats, Sixtoo, Alias, Blockhead, Controller7… But yeah - mostly underground people who were unlikely to get pulled up on sample clearance.

1 Like

Yeah do remember an awful lot of (mostly really average and dull) instrumental hip hop albums in a similar vein around the early to mid 2000s. It is notable how few really standout/classic albums the sub-genre has though.

Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher is another great album that has clear links to DJ Shadow.

I like Entroducing a lot and think theres something to the samples that does make it sound timeless imo.

One of my favourite album covers of all time too, I used to just stare at it when I was a kid and dream about the next CD I was going to save up and buy with my £6 a month pocket money.

4 Likes

Joe beats! Have to admire someone who goes for the most uninspiring name possible

4 Likes

Good and very clever, but I don’t get why people go apeshit over it.

Yes, I dabbled with a few at the time but they are largely forgettable.

It’s weird - I remember listening to the interludes on Pete Rock & CL and Gang Starr albums and thinking “I could listen to whole albums of this”. But then they actually made them and they were… a bit boring.

(I do actually like Petestrumentals, but mostly for the early Roc Marciano appearances).

1 Like

I think Endtroducing gets it just right in this regard – for me, it doesn’t sound too much like sterile coffee table mood music and it’s not so hip-hop-orientated that it doesn’t just sound like beats divorced from rap reckerds. Obviously different strokes and all that, but as someone who really likes hip-hop production as an artform (and who got into hip-hop through electronic music and the instrumental side of things), I think it finds a nice way of presenting that without falling into those pitfalls

6 Likes

Yeah, I think Prefuse 73 is definitely a good shout. Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives is, for me, one of the best albums in blending hip-hop sampling with the glitchy Warp Records stuff. I’m tempted to include Four Tet (Pause, Rounds, and Everything Ecstatic mainly) in there too

1 Like

Yeah, I like that Prefuse 73 album a lot. Had some really interesting guests on it too. Also quite liked the Sound-Ink compilation - the guys who produced the Viktor Vaughan album.

1 Like

Yeah no doubt, I agree with you and think that finding that balance is a big part of why it’s so successful/why relatively few instrumental hip hop albums achieve such universal appeal. I wasn’t actually lumping it in with those mood music types either, it just does have quite a lot in common/was clearly influential on the stuff.

2 Likes

A real slow burner for me. Think someone posted on the forum that it was a perfect album for a 1hr flight and so I started listening to it on semi regular work trips to London and it really is perfect for that. ‘Midnight in a perfect world’ is now synonymous with with flying above moonlit clouds, passing over twinkling city lights, ‘Scatter Brain’ and ‘What Does Your Soul Look Like’ synonymous with landing over the Forth, passing over the Bridges and looking over Arthur’s Seat.

Not the best flyer and if anything it actually makes me look forward to the flight home.

Don’t really have any comment on how it fits in to the classic hip hop canon, but I’m giving it a 10. I probably throw out 10’s too easily.

The 33 1/3 book is a bit disappointing.

2 Likes

Trip-hop is really weird. When it’s good, it’s amazing. When it’s bad, it’s like offensively sickeningly beige. Crazy

2 Likes

The defining album of my second year at university. The only one all 6 of us in the house owned.

Love the drums.

Other instrumental hip hop normally leaves me the cold, but will always come back to this. Nostalgia? Probably. Still a 10 though.

1 Like

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10.

One of the best things about this record for me is that my mum bought it for me because she read a review of it in the paper and it sounded interesting. Fuckin awesome job, mum.

12 Likes

The quality of Prefuse 73’s live music really nosedived with each record eh. OWE is a fucking brilliant record and the rest are … meh.

Best thing about him was that I went to see him live at the Scala and Battles supported when they were releasing the EPs and I have rarely had my jaw hit the floor as consistently as during that set. Holy moly.

1 Like

Just wondering if you’ve heard Dilla’s Donuts?

Yep - Donuts and Deadringer are good. But I think they’re the only 3 I’ve enjoyed.

Don’t like private press at all. Well dull.

2 Likes

I think one of the things that makes this record so special is how much of a labour of obsession it must have been. I remember reading somewhere that the sampler he used could only hold something ridiculous like 16s of music at a time. I cannot imagine how painstaking the construction of a whole album of music from that must have been and if you’re being forced to take that much time then a tendancy towards getting it perfect sneaks in.

1 Like