šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Endtroducing.....

It wasnā€™t this, but this article touches on it

1 Like

Music Has The Right To Children has a similar quality but doesnā€™t sound dated imo.

Would put Entroducing in the category of ā€˜sounds like it was made when it did but doesnā€™t sound dated to these earsā€™. Possibly because so many artists have retread over the same ground since.

2 Likes

Hasnā€™t ever really clicked for me in the way it has for so many. I mean, itā€™s good, but I donā€™t really see the massively heralded/classic status album side of things. Dunno if itā€™s cause I listened to it later so donā€™t have any cultural appreciation of it, or what. Bit of a shame because by all accounts it should be so up my street, but alas, hasnā€™t happened.

I have the EXACT same feeling about both Endtroducing and Untrue and dark winter mornings. Thereā€™s something about those albums and walking around in the dark, almost deserted streets in the early morning that just fits for me.

Endtroducing is a 10 for me, baffled at the idea that it sounds dated for some, as it still sounds so original to me.

8 Likes

I very much associate those two albums together and yep, you guessed it, both have a certain time-stamped feel for me. Itā€™s worth noting though Iā€™m not saying this means either of them are bad records now, they still definitely hold up, Iā€™m just saying I donā€™t find them as revolutionary as they would have been at the time.

1 Like

I think the fact that the Madlib Beat Konducta LP where he does an impression of J Dillaā€™s Donuts probably ranks in my top 10 instrumental hip hop albums says a lot.

1 Like

Yeah, of course. Iā€™m far from a St Vincent expert but I thought it her last album that was regarded as her ā€˜classicā€™?

One of the most underwhelming ā€œclassicā€ albums Iā€™ve heard in any genre. The very definition of a 4/10.

1 Like

I dunno. Actor is definitely my personal fave!

Donā€™t think she really has an agreed upon classic, because they are all good and thereā€™s a clear evolution across them, plus the last one split opinion. My favourite is self titled personally but then Strange Mercy is the mid-point that kind of bridges her two eras so far.

ā€˜DJ Shadowā€™ is a swear word in our household. My wife uses it to describe any bit of music she doesnā€™t care for.

I went to see him play in Bristol a long long time ago. A friend let me down at the last minute and so I generously told my wife to accompany me instead. She hated it

Time to entroduce my son to it

8 Likes

Hmm, Iā€™d say (for me at least) the ā€˜nostalgic atmosphereā€™ it has was always of decades previous somewhere in the 40s, 50s or maybe 60s. While its genre is hip-hop the nature of the samples and the style of vocal stuff tends to feel like black and white movies and of a murky past that we have lost.

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly what I was poorly alluding to. Itā€™s nostalgic due to itā€™s make-up rather than when it was made. Definitely conjures up thoughts of old lost cinema in my mind too.

3 Likes

Re-listening to it now, I canā€™t hear the sample in the track below without picturing it being spoken by the current Donald of the US. Like one of his more coherent speeches.

2 Likes

Straight 10. One of my all time favourite albums no question. Itā€™s been 22 years since it first blew my mind, and Iā€™ve never tired of hearing it since. An actual Masterpiece.

5 Likes

10 from me, I loved this album so much. I think this would make a good atmospheric trilogy next to Untrue and Kid A if it lands mid-table, though Iā€™d have them all a little higher.

3 Likes

Really interests me that Stem/Long Stem isnā€™t top of the song list as I always felt like it had the biggest following back in the day.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not much of a track on record but the dicking about with organ donor he did when I saw him in 2002 was the highlight of his show, really good fun. Must have been touring the Private Press but obviously all people wanted was Endtroducingā€¦

The extended version on the High Noon EP is a bit meatier and much more interesting, I seem to recall.

Iā€™ll be honest that Iā€™d probably still take the High Noon EP over Endtroducingā€¦ but EPs when theyā€™re good are always a bit special arenā€™t they?

YOUā€¦are going to rockā€™nā€™rollā€¦

1 Like

while I never really listened to the album as a whole before, some of my all-time favourite drum sounds are on here. If youā€™d asked me if Iā€™d ever heard Mutual Slum before I wouldnā€™t have been able to remember it, but as soon as that opening fill hits ā€¦ ooft itā€™s punchy