šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Straight back in for a second listen, though, and Shameā€¦ is probably gonna be my final call.

Great samples for horns and keys on top of a swaggering beat and baseline. Method is tight and punchy. Rae keeps the energy levels high, which weaves the vocal track to the music track nicely, making it a full-fledged piece, rather than it just being ace rapping over a great beat.

Then thereā€™s ODB. Ooooft. On top form here. And throughout the album. I think that, apart from the trademark RZA beats and the general crew/clan vibe, ODB is the totally unique and identifiable element that rises above. His delivery is just incredible. Totally peerless.

4 Likes

Starting to think I shouldā€™ve chosen Protect Your Neckā€¦

1 Like

By the way, itā€™s a 10
Cos thereā€™s just no filler
Introducinā€™ the Ghostface Killaaaaaaaaaaa-aaa-aaa-aaa-aaah
No one could get iller

9 Likes

Canā€™t wait to get up tomorrow and listen to this.

ODBā€™s section in ā€¦Chessboxinā€™ is just outrageously good and quite rightly everyone else lets him go off, taking the lionā€™s share of lines. Heā€™s that wildcard element that brings everything together. That barking sing-song flow; the man barely needs a track behind him.

As for the album as a whole, itā€™s not my favourite of all time (and I probably rate Liquid Swords and Supreme Clientele over it in the Wu-Tangverse) but itā€™s still an indisputable 10/10 for me. The production is rough, the beats are rougher and yet itā€™s so utterly iconic despite that; the moment those snaps/woodblock clacks come in on Bring Da Ruckus I am instantly hyped for whatā€™s to come.

Like most hip hop, itā€™s not normally something I listen to at my computer but times being what they are Iā€™m having to get used to it. Feels weird listening to it static but Iā€™ve enjoyed hearing it in the dead of night, the only other noise a little desk fan. Really keys you into how the whole thing is patched together with little more than sheer will and bravura.

9 Likes

9.49 for Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). We have a new leader!

33 Likes

Blimey

4 Likes

When I looked earlier in the week it was 9.6

1 Like

Late flurry of interpol fans

17 Likes

Do think the Interpol comparison/ whatever is a valid one. Reckon that most users on here would have an opinion about Interpol, either positively or negatively and be happy to come in the thread to express but I reckon with a thread like this those people for whom hip hop in general or wtc specifically isnā€™t their cup of tea just wouldnā€™t come into the thread at all and therefore youā€™re only left with the positive opinions. Could be wrong but thatā€™s very much my impression.

Holy crap, was not expecting that!

I was going to say it was my fault for saying itā€™s ok to give it a 1 but yours is funnier

1 Like

Turn on the Bright Lights and 36 Chambers are both 10s :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

But, more pertinent to your point, thereā€™s no arguing that 36 Chambers isnā€™t a way more important album for itā€™s time and genre, a complete standout, whereas TOTBL hit some people really hard and to others itā€™s in a sea of various releases just like it at the time (much as it pains me to say it).

3 Likes

I ordered the CD for like Ā£2:70. Not heard it for an age. I had the vinyl that I bought circa 1995 so not the 1st press but donā€™t want to know how much that may be worth now. It would have been an import and Iā€™ve lost it over the years.

A worthy leader and a very unique album. Strange combination of it sounding grubby yet light years ahead of the likes of Public Enemy who were fading pretty fast back then

I think thatā€™s a fair comment but 9.49 is still a hell of a score. I didnā€™t vote in the end because I didnā€™t give it as many listens as a wanted but from what I did hear I prefer Illmatic. And I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, I really donā€™t like ODB

1 Like

I think ODB is who makes them as special as they were. The first time I saw / heard him on Yo MTV Raps in the very early 90ā€™s he was skitting between Sinatra style crooning and the very rawest of rap delivery. When interviewed he came across like heā€™d almost lost the plot but there was always a spark of genius in what he came out with, like he was in touch but just on a different level to most.

I remember in his later days the news story of him running out of a sports shop with stolen Nike trainers on and just thinking, why not pay. He could wander into Pop incredibly easily and should have been a bigger star than he actually was. Incredible talent and you never knew exactly where he was coming from or where he would go. Big loss to music.

Huge demons. Huge talent

2 Likes

Yeah same here. Although I liked it more than Illmatic I think even if I like NY State of Mind more than 36 Chambers

5 Likes

Totally this. 36 Chambers was a game changer. Influenced things far beyond the music. We forget that the original Protect Ya Neck single was self released. Always felt like it sparked that mid 90s independent scene in New York that I can trace so many of my favourite artists back to.

2 Likes