šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Homogenic

So disappointed when i first got the album, patiently waiting for all is full of love to close out the album spectacularly and got a less beautiful version

2 Likes

Never listened to it. Setting it up now.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve actually ever heard the single version :hushed:

The video is amazing as well.

5 Likes

Le videoi

1 Like

only really listened to Post

Wow this is a much better version of this song

3 Likes

This is such an easy 10 for me. One of the all time great albums IMO, in that the synthesis of the experimental ā€˜soundā€™ of the 90ā€™s met a one off talent at her absolute peak of her songwriting powers. Although listening back to it now it definitely sounds like a 90ā€™s record, it hasnā€™t aged badly, itā€™s still really jarringly beautiful. Thereā€™s a brilliant BBC docco about it kicking about somewhere that they re-ran a few years ago, and how that combination of programmed electronics and strings came about. I canā€™t remember the exact specifics of it.

Although it doesnā€™t carry the highs of itā€™s first half all the way through, thereā€™s no weak moment on it. So many amazing bits - the skittering start of Hunter, ā€œI tried to organise freedom, how Scandinavian of me!ā€, the strings at the end of Joga, ā€œWeā€™ll have to make new loveā€, the marching beat at the start of Bachelorette - and when those strings come in, "I want to go on a mountain top, with a radio and good batteriesā€™, the chaos of ā€˜Plutoā€™ slipping into the tranquility of ā€˜All Is Full Of Loveā€™.

I hate saying this, but they donā€™t make them like they used toā€¦ Canā€™t imagine there ever being another record like this. Certainly Bjork wonā€™t make one.

2 Likes

ā€œThe American hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan almost contributed to the production of Homogenic , but were unable due to their production on the album Wu-Tang Forever , which had taken longer than plannedā€ (Wiki)

Probably the only thing that could have even vaguely made this album any better

1 Like

Had such high hopes for Utopia when Arisen My Senses kicks in, but that album really drags and itā€™sā€¦very flutey and animal-y

1 Like

:one::zero:

Single version is one of my all-time favourite songs ever. And also: Greatest music video ever, too.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t listened to it for years. Feels like a 7 or 8 in my memory, with some dizzying highs and some stuff Iā€™m not so bothered by. Will listen back to it a bit this week to see if Iā€™ve changed my mind though.

Think you may be referring to the South Bank Show. The parts showing her recording Homogenic starts around 28 mins. Fascinating stuff.

Itā€™s my favourite Bjork album. Just perfect.

4 Likes

Canā€™t believe people are shit talking Pluto!

5 Likes

Yes! Thanks.

tenor

5 Likes

:man_shrugging:

I always find Bjork an incredibly impressive artist (both musically and her general sense of bonkers style), but at the same time Iā€™ve yet to really fall in love with any of her albums. I kinda like them in small doses.

I think Vespertine got some kind of Drowned in Sound best album of all time or some such award, and so I spent a bit of time with it. Again, I quite liked it, but never as much as I felt like i should.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve heard this one before, so will see how I get along with it this week.