💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Hounds Of Love

Kid A comes in with a thoroughly respectable 8.41 but that’s only good enough for mid-table in these here threads.

This week is Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love. Are you feeling positive or negative orgones about this one?

0 voters

1 Like

Best track:

• Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
  • Hounds Of Love
  • The Big Sky
  • Mother Stands For Comfort
  • Cloudbusting
  • And Dream Of Sheep
  • Under Ice
  • Waking The Witch
  • Watching You Without Me
  • Jig Of Life
  • Hello Earth
  • The Morning Fog

0 voters

Position Album Rating
1 Spirit Of Eden 9.06
2 Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven 8.80
3 Illmatic 8.70
4 It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 8.51
5 Marquee Moon 8.47
6 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
7 Spiderland 8.44
8 Kid A 8.41
9 Loveless 8.24
10 100 Broken Windows 7.97
11 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91
12 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
13 Definitely Maybe 5.90

genuinely surprised Kid A didn’t go top, guess it’s still a bit more divisive than it lets on.

As for this, I only know the two singles so abstaining for now but let’s just get this out the way

(shame this is Futureheads’ lasting legacy ina way but it is a great cover nonetheless)

6 Likes

Next week’s album:

• Sufjan Stevens – Illinois
  • Massive Attack – Mezzanine
  • Soundgarden – Superunknown
  • Arcade Fire - Funeral
  • New Order – Power, Corruption and Lies

0 voters

Easy 10 for me Clive, can’t think of another album that merged one half of outright pop bangers and one half indulgent concept art stuff so successfully either way. The music is somehow the most 80s thing of all time and completely timeless. Really important addressing themes of sexuality, gender, growing up. Just a real GOAT of a record.

20 Likes

I just know that something good is gonna happen.

Aw, I love this album, and that line never fails to pick me up

1 Like

10 obviously. A record that has accompanied me through pretty much my whole life from as early as I can remember. Seeing about 85% of it live in 2014 was a life moment.

Incredibly jealous of anyone who gets into it for the first time via this thread.

We dont talk about the Futureheads cover ever

3 Likes

10/10. Astonishing record.

3 Likes
  1. What ruffers said.

Muting thread now.

My Mum’s favourite ever album! :heart: Been listening to it since the age of about 5 and still listening to it today. @Ruffers has basically nailed it, and it’s an easy 10. Really good timing too as my eldest son (8) asked me to pick a new album for him yesterday and specifically asked for a female singer. I gave him this one

1 Like

9/10. Great, great record. Could go top.

Cloudbusting is one of the best songs of all time.

Never heard it. Will check it out.

Not sure the original will ever top this though.

Their legacy is a top-2 album from that period of UK indie, which ain’t too bad

1 Like

I think it maybe inverted your suggestion about another of these that it would do well due to not enough people having heard it to downvote, maybe?

Will have to look through the voting numbers and see whether fewer votes = higher ratings.

1 Like

Only heard tracks 1 and 2, so will give this a listen shortly

Really enjoying picking classics that I don’t know well from the album list, gonna keep following that path

Also, and this is regularly overlooked and generally auxiliary I guess - but absolute GAME CHANGER when it came to music videos as MTV was getting more popular. These are works of freaking art.

3 Likes

3/10. it’s pretty rubbish, how can you put dog noises from a keyboard on a track and it not be funny?

1 Like

not sure if this or the piano version of teenage angst is worse

2 Likes

Indie-guy confession corner. I have never listened to Hounds of Love. I know the singles and have only recently started to get them, at age 36. Something about the theatricality of the vocals always put me off.

I’m going in…