💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Illinois

6 because he just writes the same song over and over plus his cutesy voice does my head in

2 Likes

I can’t believe this. The Carrie & Lowell tour is the best show I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Well I never really got him. The one time I tried him was when these boards talked about him a lot.

I’ll try to listen to this and see if it clicks at all

1 Like

Look at those song titles too. Pretentious and twee at the same time

3 Likes

Ugh, no ta

1 Like

pretweentious

4 Likes

I’m so shocked people are out here being so rude about the greatest recording artist of all time

4 Likes

Its great, but 8-great, not 10-great…loads of stuff from the avalanche record should have made the cut instead of the flittery, recordery stuff

1 Like

Probably a 9 or 10 from me. I’ll relisten during the week.

3 Likes

Love this record. All the little noodly bits between songs and all, the quirky little tales, how touching and delicate it can be. The Michigan album too but this edges it. I would have been perfectly happy with him doing all 50 states one record after another.

1 Like

It’s a generous 8/7.5 from me. I prefer him stripped back like C+L or in full blown composer mode like Adz, both of which I find more impressive records. But this was him at the beginning of both those things, still finding a real voice amongst the tweeness and for an accessible, thoughful indie pop folk record it is good for what it does.

I’ll be honest that it takes a very very good artist to put out an album that long and with that many tracks and expect me to give them a high score.

75 mins and 22 tracks is proper, “I have no quality control” territory.

1 Like

Predatory Wasp is one of my all time favourite songs. Hearing it as an upset bi kid in an intolerant religious environment, it was absolutely huge for me.

16 Likes

There’s only about 15 ‘proper’ tracks though

1 Like

Are the others skits?

I’m not sure I love any long, many tracked albums without some caveats to my enjoyment. But there’s probably one.

More like interludes

1 Like

the idea of him doing skits has tickled me

Sufjan “Skits” Stevens, enforcer for the Greater Illinois Family

4 Likes

Yeah, think of them like skits or interludes. One Last Woohoo For The Pullman for example is just the last six seconds of the preceeding track that he decided needed its own separate track. Let’s Hear That String Part… is just the strings from the preceding track (a reprise of sorts)

It’s no Use Your Illusion II but it’s pretty great. I only really like this and Carrie & Lowell, or at least they are the two albums which have retained my interest anyway. I find he runs a very fine line between brilliance and sounding cringewrorthy.

The bit where he says …“and he takes and he takes and he takes…” in Casimir Pulaski Day still gets me every time mind :sob: What a song.

6 Likes

Wife went through a period of playing this album all the time. Didn’t mind it at first, became pretty grating after a while. We had tickets to see him at the Barbican which I think was around the time this came out, but I gave mine to one of her mates who was a fan. She said there was a person sat next to her who cried through the whole thing.