11 Definitely Maybe 5.90

Next week’s album:

• Radiohead - Kid A
  • Love - Forever Changes
  • Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
  • 2Pac - All Eyez On Me
  • R.E.M. - Automatic For The People

0 voters

Voted for Memory Lane because I love that sample so much, but N.Y. State of Mind is a close runner up. ‘Straight out the fucking dungeons of rap’ is one of the coolest opening lines ever and then it’s just four and a half minutes of peerless bars.

7 Likes

AZ’s guest verse must be up there with the best of all time

4 Likes

Such a great hook too

1 Like

10/10, pretty much a perfect rap album. worth remembering he was like 16/17 when he was writing it, 19 when he recorded it. unreal

10 Likes

one of those ones I catch myself singing under my breath out of nowhere, a few time a month

1 Like

Sleep is the cousin of death.

Peerless. Always bust it out on really hot days for some reason. It’s a summer album?

1 Like

One of the only examples I can think of where a rapper has got an album deal off the back of a single verse. Totally deserved it too

Definitely a summer album. The beats and hooks are all so smooth and there is a song about sitting in the park!

1 Like

yeah I listen to Doe or Die more than Illmatic tbh

A perfect album.

7 Likes

Second verse of Represent is the pinnacle of “satisfyingly in the pocket rapping” IMO

If you haven’t heard this Four Tet mashup, you should.

5 Likes

Best hip hop album ever made, and I’m not sure it’s even close. Definitely in my top 10 favourite albums of all time. 10.

3 Likes

“AZ has had a better career overall than nas” is a thing I might say if I was looking to rustle some jimmies. not 100% sure i actually believe it, but still, he’s got a bunch of decent to good albums and has never sank to the depths nas frequently does at his worst

3 Likes

Voted for ‘The World Is Yours’ because I sing that hook weekly, it’s just such an earworm.

1 Like

Fairly similar career to Nas. Classic debut, decent follow up, really shite around the turn of the millennium, early to mid 00s revival, more or less irrelevant ever since.