💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Is This It

Sufjan scrapes into the top 10 with 8.34

This week is The Strokes - Is This It. You all know this one, right? But how good is it really?

0 voters

Best track:

• Is This It
  • The Modern Age
  • Soma
  • Barely Legal
  • Someday
  • Alone, Together
  • Last Nite
  • Hard To Explain
  • New York City Cops
  • Trying Your Luck
  • Take It Or Leave It

0 voters

Leaderboard:

Position Album Rating
1 Spirit Of Eden 9.06
2 Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven 8.80
3 Hounds Of Love 8.79
4 Illmatic 8.70
5 It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 8.51
6 Marquee Moon 8.47
7 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
8 Spiderland 8.44
9 Kid A 8.41
10 Illinois 8.34
11 Loveless 8.24
12 100 Broken Windows 7.97
13 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91
14 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
15 Definitely Maybe 5.90

Nest week’s album:

• R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
  • Megadeth - Rust In Peace
  • Weezer - The Blue Album
  • Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
  • The Breeders - Last Splash

0 voters

Would love a Rust in Peace one.

gonna be weezer though isn’t it

1 Like

Cannot pick a best song. Banger after banger.

14 Likes

10/10. I know all the things that might be wrong with it (derivative, lacking in a certain kind of sincerity or soul maybe) and I just don’t care. A very important album for me and one I still come back to over and over again. The whole thing is tremendous fun. TEN.

15 Likes

Great album. Sounds polished and effortless at the same time. Love the tight sound of the bass and drums and julians delivery. Although they’ve had many great albums over the years they’ve never matched this one. 10/10

7 Likes

Loved it at the time. Probably haven’t listened to it in full since maybe 2005. Can’t imagine doing so again. I think that whole sound aged really quickly.

Wavering between 5 and 6 out of 10 on this one.

A “quite good” album that ushered in an extremely boring era of music in a way that means we’d be better off if it hadn’t been recorded.

11 Likes

Save this exact post for the Up The Bracket thread.

9 Likes

Don’t really go back to it now, but no doubting it’s a fucking great album. Remember when they were blowing up seeing them at Leeds Festival when they had to be moved from the Carling stage to the main stage. Not like they actually played amazingly (unsurprisingly), but the hype was just absolutely massive and the album somehow managed to back it up. 9/10.

2 Likes

Also 36 minutes is the perfect length for an album. Any longer is just wanking in front of the mirror.

14 Likes

It’s perfect. Fuck the haters. 10

6 Likes

It’s quite good. Hard to explain is great.

1 Like

Hated it at the time. Hated all that sort of stuff. Essentially 22 year old me dismissed all the ‘The’ NME bands in favour or Radiohead and anything that had 4 stars or more in Kerrang

It’s actually a 9 though isnt it. Absolute banger

2 Likes

Had a pre-release copy to review for a website that never went anywhere (not my own). It’s the one time having something ahead of release felt special. Pretty much every car journey that summer I’d put this on.

Holds up, too, I’d say. The lyrics, when I can understand them, are smart. None of the songs go on too long, and I’d only cut ‘Trying Your Luck’ from the album overall.

Pretty sure I gave it a ten then, and I’d give it the same now.

2 Likes

My hot take is always that Is This It isn’t quite as good as people say it is, and the rest of The Strokes discography isn’t nearly as bad.

… But my heart’s not really in it. I think this Is This It and their subsequent struggle to recapture the magic shows the fine margins you’re operating on making meat and potatoes guitar music in the 2000s, between greatness and mediocrity.

Beyond starting several vibrant scenes in its own right, in a way its successors never could, Is This It stands out because literally every track is a banger. The sound is gloriously lo-fi, and yet indelibly pop. Maybe New York City Cops is the worst thing on it, and had it been released as a standalone single and the band just disappeared, it’d still probably be one of the most fondly remembered songs of the era.

I do think The Strokes are a little underrated as a band in its aftermath, but its also true very few indie rock bands put together an album so breathless with so little wasted space, that crosses generations so easily and is so effortlessly cool as this one. It’s hard not to pale in comparison.

It’s a solid 9/10 for me.

4 Likes

Have always hated it. No tunes. 3

4 Likes

Album title ==> my feelings on the choice, interface.

Dunno a 6 I guess.

1 Like