💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Is This It

The easiest 10 I’ll ever 10 (until we do The Blue Album next week)

1 Like

i love the guitar sound on trying your luck so much

5 Likes

It’s a 7 from me. Good, but not as special as it gets credit for IMO.

2 Likes

[checks spreadsheet] yes, Up The Bracket is on the list. That could be a good thread

2 Likes

God, this is tough. I hated this album at the time because I was super-tribal and saw The Strokes as representing everything I hated about indie and the NME and the creepy pricks at indie clubs who’d prey on fresher girls 10 years younger than them. But I read Meet Me In The Bathroom recently, went back and totally reappraised The Strokes and … y’know what? Good band. And so much younger than I’d realised too.

Too successful too quickly (there should be some kind of rule about headlining Reading on your début album), but it’s half an hour of pretty relentless bangers hampered by deliberately shit production which really annoys me. Knocking off points for that. Strong 6.

1 Like

It sounds great! Perfect for the songs. What would you rather they sound like?

4 Likes

Sure I would have loved it if it had come out when I was 17 or whatever. I was just too old, all the hype and everything else just plays out differently when you are older. But I’ve gone back a couple of times over the years and they are one of the few cases of hyped bands where I get it and I do think it is justified, I reckon they really nailed what they were trying to do and did so with an incredible energy.

So for me it’s probably a 5 because I listen to and say ‘yeah that’s good’ but I’ve no interest in listening again and the nature of the individual songs, that sugar rush effect, means I’m bored very quickly. But objectively it’s way better than that, probably a strong 9 tbh. So I’ll give it 6 because it’s my vote not some weird imagine what it is in the scheme of things vote.

2 Likes

Another baffling shit album that people love. It just feels like such a pose, in a bad way.
I find it Hard to explain just why they set off my hate buttons but terrible music, shamelessly ripping off old bands, being hailed as the greatest thing of all time will do it. They’ve only had one good song.

Another band who can get in the bin.

7 Likes

Fully average. 5/10

3 Likes

Surprised they were ever that hyped, but it’s fine. Absolute definition of a 7.

Please can it be Weezer next week, I want to maintain my record of giving 9s to the lowest scoring albums and giving 6s and 7s to the albums everyone is scoring really highly. (Shame it isn’t Pinkerton up for discussion. I would have to take a day off work for that thread and buy some popcorn)

5 Likes

I really hate the way his voice sounds like it is (and, it transpires, IS) coming out of a practice amp.

But then again my favourite strokes album is the one everyone hates because it sounds too polished so I’m in a very clear minority here

1 Like

I can’t choose a best or worst track but this is a perfect summary

4 Likes

I prefer Pinkerton too but I looked at the Weezer HGATR thread and Blue won the album poll by such a distance that I thought choosing Pinkerton would just be an unacceptable act of self indulgence

2 Likes

sounds shit if you take the effects off tho

2 Likes

also something I like about the overall production is that you can listen on the shittest speakers and the songs still sound good

I mean, different album and tough position because they had to try to recreate what was arguably a flash-in-the-pan moment but IIRC the vocals on Is This It were actually tracked through an amp, so there would be no ‘clean’ version like this.

It’s an each to their own thing; I like The Gaslight Anthem but I way prefer the albums where they actually sound like they were recorded in the 21st century than The '59 Sound, which is a collection of great songs hampered by a desperate attempt to sound like they were recorded in the mid-70s

I thought the first two albums were pretty much written and recorded in exactly the same way. They’ve said it was kinda like doing a double album.

The technical approach may have been different tho

This is a done-to-death sidebar but I find it so difficult to understand how someone could both like Blue, and think Pinkerton is better. Liking Pinkerton but not Blue, that makes sense to me. Ditto vice versa.

I’m not saying that people actually do this but it feels like an old-school troll, almost an inversion of the “I prefer their early stuff” trope.

1 Like

I dunno how much discussion there will be for Blue tho

like Is This It, people seem to either think it’s full of bangers and very consistent or they just don’t like it/get it (the former group are correct on both counts of course)

2 Likes

Again, basing this on Meet Me In The Bathroom which if you haven’t read it, is a fantastic record of this scene at this time. But it definitely paints a picture of a band having captured lightning in a bottle and then, with no little record label pressure on them, going about trying to deliberately recreate it. This is how you get Anchorman 2.

2 Likes