💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

8.44 for Spiderland

This week is Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back. Do you believe the hype? How good is it really:

0 voters

Best track:

• Countdown To Armageddon
  • Bring The Noise
  • Don’t Believe The Hype
  • Cold Lampin With Flavor
  • Terminator X To The Edge Of Panic
  • Mind Terrorist
  • Louder Than A Bomb
  • Caught, Can We Get A Witness?
  • Show Em Whatcha Got
  • She Watch Channel Zero?!
  • Night Of The Living Baseheads
  • Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos
  • Security Of The First World
  • Rebel Without A Pause
  • Prophets Of Rage
  • Party For Your Right To Fight

0 voters

Love that album. It’s a classic. I’ve nothing else to add.

2 Likes

Might revisit this at some point this week tbf but, broadly speaking, Public Enemy haven’t ever really done much for me. Chuck D’s cadence always seems pretty corny to me in a way that’s of it’s era but that makes their stuff sound way more frivolous to me than it actually is.

1 Like

Next week’s album:

• Nas- Illmatic
  • Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
  • James Brown - Live At The Apollo
  • Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
  • The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy

0 voters

I know, Psychocandy again. Blame excel

My second favourite PE album after Fear Of A Black Planet. Still a 10…

3 Likes

We have a fledgling table:

Position Album Rating
1 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
2 Spiderland 8.44
3 Loveless 8.24
7 Likes

Bring The Noise is my ‘go to’ embarrassing-white-guy-singing-rap song. Despite knowing every word and every beat I still manage to butcher it.

Anyway, 9/10 for the album. Maybe a tad dated but still an absolute beast.

3 Likes

The first 10 I’ve given in this series. Incendiary, righteous, and still sounds like nothing else. Love the incredible density of the production, the sheer wall of noise. Not even Dave Pearce can spoil it.

5 Likes

Great album but Fear of a Black Planet is my favourite. It’s like a culmination of what they’d been working towards - the production is just amazing to be able to distill that energy and rage and chaos and carcophony into something so sharp and coherent and visceral.

8 or 9 for ITANOMTHUB.

Never fully got on board with PE. Not keen on that stentorian style of rapping that chuck has though fully understand why it had to be that way in PE’s case.

‘It takes a nation…’ is still brilliant but I never want to listen to the whole thing in one. A band I prefer in small doses.

8/10

Had to vote Tubular Bells for the fallout :joy:

7 Likes

Given them a 9. It is great but I have other albums I’d put above it.

2 Likes

For me, it’s a 10. It’s their best album. It’s probably the best Hip Hop album of all-time. When it dropped in the Summer of '88 you felt it change the music landscape like an earthquake. The sound of a world going stir crazy yet PE remain confident and assured throughout. Incredibly intelligent and appealing lyrically, musically a jam like nothing really heard back then. It holds up and sounds just as fresh today, its power will never diminish.

I wrote this some 9 years back, I wouldn’t change much from this write up.

3 Likes

don’t listen to it often as have to be in a specific mood for stuff from this era, almost like listening to a different genre compared to rap from even a couple of years later, but yeah, it’s good. probs go a 7 but they get bonus point for the scene in ghost dog where the guy does cold lampin with flavor, so 8/10

p.s. VOTE ILLMATIC

3 Likes

Clear 10, along with Fear of a Black Planet. Neither album has aged at all, still thrilling and brilliant.

3 Likes

same

I always feel like some sort of contrarian or fake hip-hop fan when I reveal I’ve never been all that fond of PE but I recognise what absolute monoliths Nation and Black Planet are in the landscape.
Also, Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos is simply one of the best tracks ever written. Thanks to Tricky (and Martina Topley-Bird) for opening my ears to that one.

1 Like

9 for me. Fear of a Black Planet being a 10