šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

That Exeter is brilliant place.

I too will be looking to see how it stands up. I only know the three releases: New Zero Kaneda (the best), F#ā€¦ and their first comeback record.

5:32 into Antennas to Heaven :exploding_head:

3 Likes

weā€™ve had Maggot Brain, havenā€™t we?

in the 1001 albums thing but not this which is obviously a far superior series of threads

2 Likes

Itā€™s their magnum opus. Everything that absolutely works about GY!BE distilled into 4 songs (or passages, or chapters or acts, however you wish to define it) over 90 sprawling minutes so powerful that it has had the unfortunate effect of rendering nearly everything theyā€™ve released since as redundant (which is why, I suspect, they leaned into the offshoot bands so much more after it). I like Yanqui and the three scrappier feeling late 2010s comeback albums, but they live in the shadow of one of the grandest statements in the range of ā€˜post-rockā€™. You really feel it as a collective working in total cohesion to create something so much bigger than themselves.

I genuinely find it exhausting and if Iā€™m of a mind to listen to any of it, itā€™s always Sleep. But I love it.

7 Likes

when the drums come back in with the guitar solo around 10mins is just divine. so so good i feel teary whenever i hear it

4 Likes

anyway, Lift Your Skinny Fistsā€¦ Itā€™s some way off Godspeed at their best (Slow Riot EP, obviously) but itā€™s still very good. Even middling GYBE is better than 95% of the other post rock stuff out there.

2 Likes

ooops, sorry. Will our mania for scoring things ever cease?

I voted Stevie Wonder anyway, even though thereā€™s not a keyboard built that could withstand the force of my hitting that 10.

i stuck a really good live bootleg of this part ā€œShe dreamt she was a bulldozerā€ on youtube ages ago

2 Likes

Sticking my head back in here to admit that was me and that I donā€™t regret it.

2 Likes

There are some great gybe bootlegs out there. The pre-split bootleg recordings of the first post-split album are way better than the album itself

1 Like

completely agree. used to live on archive.org in the early 00ā€™s caning all the live stuff. I saw them in 2002 and was a GYBE addict for years.

1 Like

Quite a boring band, sometimes less is just less

2 Likes

You donā€™t have to do this in every thread. You could just ignore it. Or actually post about the album being discussed.

I donā€™t do it in every thread though do I, I tell people when I like music and when I dislike it, same as everybody else does, see the steely dan thread for example

13 Likes

Friend in Montreal has volunteered at Efrimā€™s music space a couple of times. Thereā€™s one house rule- donā€™t put GY!BE on the stereo because it annoys him to have to listen to his own music at work.

7 Likes

I used to hate GYBE for some reason. no idea why. then I finally actually got over myself and listened to skinny fists - absolutely loved it, never looked back. 10

2 Likes

Static, from about the 7 minute mark - especially that bit when the violin comes in at about 10 minutes - proper goose bump inducing stuff.

3 Likes

Also: backpatch I got recently

13 Likes