24 Ys 7.83
25 The Blue Album 7.71
26 Siamese Dream 7.64
27 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
28 It’s A Shame About Ray 7.52
29 Is This It 7.40
30 1989 6.80
31 Definitely Maybe 5.90

The week is the Madonna - Like A Prayer. Well done everybody, well, 31% of everybody

0 voters
1 Like

Best track:

• Like A Prayer
  • Express Yourself
  • Love Song
  • Till Death Do Us Part
  • Promise To Try
  • Cherish
  • Dear Jessie
  • Oh Father
  • Keep It Together
  • Spanish Eyes
  • Act Of Contrition

0 voters

Have never actually listened to the album, just The Immaculate Collection. Will rectify that this week

1 Like

Next week’s album:

• Metallica - Master Of Puppets
  • Autechre - LP5
  • U2 - Achtung Baby
  • Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
  • Robyn - Body Talk

0 voters

U.F.O.F! Uh oh…

Me either, I’m listening now. Cherish is a lot better than i remember

1 Like

Fully expect this to be the album with the biggest weighting to one song in the series yet, in fact wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up 100% after the dust settles. That’s no disrespect to the rest of the album either.

another for the never listened club, will get on that

still voted the title track as best song, since it’s a top idk 5 best pop tracks ever and nothing’s gonna beat it

4 Likes

Too soon??

1 Like

oooo tough toss up between UFOF and LP5. Absolutely love UFOF and would love the opportunity to wimble about it again but I kind of feel like the Big Thief love in has been done a lot recently. Do like Autechre but don’t really know LP5 so would enjoy the excuse to really dig into it.

3 Likes

I’m gonna assume this won’t win but can I suggest Capacity if it doesn’t instead? It won the poll in their hgatr thread and as it’s a couple years older (and better) feels most suitable?

See reply to myself! ^

Yep, only know the title track but it absolutely slaps

And to answer, personally no I don’t think it’s too soon, but I think a few others might, which is why I’d suggest Capacity having a better chance, but let’s see!

Hard agree, feel the recent HGATR was enough in-depth Big Thief chat for a bit. I know several of the other artists in the poll have had a HGATR as well, but none as recently as Big Thief. But I will respect democracy, as always.

1 Like

Back to Madonna, I feel bad for the other songs in the poll, because the title track is such a monster it’s going to walk it (and quite rightly so, it’s one of the best singles ever made) but some very good songs are going to get overlooked. Cherish is great, so upbeat and joyful, and I’m a big fan of the whimsy of Dear Jessie. I don’t think she ever did another song like that, and it’s shame.

1 Like

Been going through a lot of 80’s albums I hadn’t listened too recently including several of Madonnas. If you like pop music then her 80’s output is at the pinnacle imo. The title track is one of the best songs ever written and this album is probably the most consistent of her career.

I personally prefer her self titled album as it features more of her bubble gum hits that are constantly stuck in my head.

You can’t go wrong with the S/T, Like a Virgin, True Blue or Like a Prayer though and the latter has the most mature song writing of any from that era.

1 Like

True Blue is my go-to Madonna album of choice, but this is still a great album. As much as I love Prince, his hand on this feels a little bit misplaced. A little try-hard at times.

Agree with others regarding the title track, it’s such an obvious stand-out, it will absolutely romp the song poll.

I’m going with an 8.

Love this…

2 Likes

Also, I had this album on vinyl when I was a kid - must be one of the first albums I owned. Don’t know where it is now :thinking: