šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Loveless

Hi everyone, welcome to your HGATR spin-off thread where we pass judgement on a classic (for want of a better word) album. Iā€™ll do one album a week and leave the poll open until Sunday evening so people can give it a proper listen if theyā€™re not familiar with it or havenā€™t listened to it in while

This week is My Bloody Valentine - Loveless: It took two and half years to make and nearly bankrupted Creation but how good is it really?

0 voters

Best track:

• Only Shallow
  • Loomer
  • Touched
  • To Here Knows When
  • When You Sleep
  • I Only Said
  • Come In Alone
  • Sometimes
  • Blown A Wish
  • What You Want
  • Soon

0 voters

In an attempt to get maximum engagement in these threads Iā€™m going to let you choose the next album (although I do reserve the right to occasional pick one myself). Below are five albums randomly selected from the list of 150-odd I put together as possible candidates for these threads. YMMV on whether some of these are a ā€˜classicā€™ especially the more recent ones but Iā€™ve tried to pick albums that will encourage a lively debate and hopefully some red hot takes.

So, which off these albums would you like to be the subject of nest weekā€™s thread?

• Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months And 2 Days In The Life Ofā€¦
  • Grandaddy - The Software Slump
  • Dā€™Angelo - Voodoo
  • Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
  • DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

0 voters

1 Like

Enjoyed those live shows a few years ago. Never actually listen to the album though.

1 Like

I ended up seeing them too many times but the warm up show and then the first London show were amazing

1 Like

How many times is too many times?

I gave it a 3. I never actually made it through the album I think and at that ATP I recall falling asleep in that dark upstairs room at Minehead while they played (earplugs in).

Iā€™d give Isnā€™t Anything a 7 or 8 though.

1 Like

Donā€™t listen to the whole album that often now (though I first heard it when I was 15 when my mum told someone at the corner shop that I liked ā€œalternative musicā€ and this bloke did a CD-R of Loveless and a Killing Joke album for me). Still absolutely love When You Sleep and Blown A Wish though.

2 Likes

Cheers JohnM, I have added this tag to my watch list

Iā€™m guessing you voted Endtroducing as the next album

2 Likes

Bought tickets to the m b v gigs during a lecture. My mate Chris asked what I was doing so I explained and I said ā€œare you interested?ā€ and he said ā€œyesā€ so I got him a ticket too. He thought I said ā€œBullet for my Valentineā€ though and was disappointed when the tickets turned up in the post. I sold his for him and went my myself and had a really good time.

Loveless is really good. Tend to reach for the collection of EPs they put out in 2012 if I want an MBV fix. Picking a track from that list is a difficult exercise eh.

4 Likes

Briefly went with the Beasties but not sure I can take all the try-hards on here pretending itā€™s not 10/10. :wink:

At least Entroducingā€¦ should get less of that I feel.

I had it saved as a spotfiy download but just checked and i canā€™t listen to it anymore

Yep

Dunno why. NMHā€™s EP ainā€™t on anymore either

those bastards

To Here Knows When recklessly loud is my favourite musical experience I think

4 Likes

Iā€™m 100% the right age and target audience for Loveless. Listened to it plenty of times and periodically returned and given it another go. Not only not for me but I actively dislike it.

2 because there are of course many worse albums.

1 Like

Chugga chugga chugga
Waweeeee woooooo waweee woooooo

Etc

9 Likes

Listened to it so many times, but still find new things to hear.

One of the best.

4 Likes

1000000/10

1 Like