šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Low

Bowie is like Miles Davis in this way - not always an innovator perhaps, but incredibly adept in spotting interesting developments in music, picking the right collaborators and using elements from what is happening in a way that is uniquely his.

1 Like

Whenever Iā€™ve listened to this (admittedly not very often), it always washes over me. Except for Sound and Vision which torments me at every waking hour for at least a week. (Not that it is a bad song)

Anyway, will try to give it some more goes this week.

Itā€™s a record that has its supporters. Itā€™s become a bit of a hip choice as a ā€˜favourite Bowie albumā€™. I share your view of it. Iā€™ve gone back to a number of times over the years and never really connected with it.

1 Like

Yep, this is what got my hopes up, but it feels a lot more straightforward than the other two

1 Like

I remember when Bowie performed on TV show ā€˜The White Roomā€™ in the 90ā€™s and Mark Radcliffe said it was Bowieā€™s favourite record that heā€™d made.

Personally, i think of lodger as an album of great moments rather than a great album and as such itā€™s one I dip into a fair bit but rarely put it on start to finish. Loads of underrated bangers though. (look back in anger, red sails, Boys keep winging, DJ, fantastic voyage)

2 Likes

10 on 10

1 Like

Obviously it has its merits and there are some good songs there (as always). In addition to the ones you mention Repitition is a good song. Love this cover of it (which might actually be better than the original)

Lodger as a whole just doesnā€™t seem to flow to me - it seems weirdly disjointed and awkward. I actually prefer Scary Monsters which seems like a better executed version of the same ideas (although I donā€™t think this is a fashionable view).

1 Like

great songs but having a fade out on nearly every track kind of annoys me and makes it feel a bit disjointed.

inb4 ā€˜tHaTā€™s tHe pOiNtā€™

2 Likes

Iā€™ll listen to that later, thanks. itā€™s a brutal (but very good) song, not one Iā€™m in the mood to listen to all that often though.

1 Like

i like this. similar to Bee Thousand where it feels like youā€™re still in the middle of a track and then suddenly it starts fading out and another track appears. i like that sort of patchwork quality.

i think people are very oversensitive about fade outs in general though

Iā€™ve never really been a big fan of pre-millenial Bowie - The Next Day, Blackstar and Heathen have been the albums I enjoyed most. But on reflection Iā€™ve only based that on the era spanned by the 90s-released 1969/1974 best of - never actually listened to Low, or Station to Station or indeed any albums from 1975-2000.

First impressions are very good. Enjoying the instrumentals in particular.

Also preceded by another 10/10 record!

2 Likes

Side B so much better than A imo

Thereā€™s nothing hipper than not knowing how hip you are.

1 Like

Yes, definitely!

9, narrowly beaten by hunky dory as the best Bowser LP.
Tough choice between sound & vision and subterraneans for best track.

probably my favourite bowie record, that being said i havenā€™t listened to it in a while. will give it a spin tonight.

1 Like

Such an easy 10.

Itā€™s just reminded me of the Franz Ferdinand cover of Sound and Vision that features Girls Aloud on backing vocals:

first half isnā€™t that good

second half done better on Heroes

1 Like

Side A: came for the hits
Side B: stayed for the bleak cinematic synth

6 Likes