šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Marquee Moon

itā€™s an obvious 10

for mine, the greatest debut album of all time

Just canā€™t get into it, despite trying quite a few times. Also saw that ATP performance which I thought might make it land for me, but really left me cold. Just donā€™t understand why itā€™s so highly regarded.

1 Like

Caught between 8 and 9, and Venus is wayyyyyyy my favourite song, and probably an ATD one, thinking about it - the guitar line during the verses is genuinely one of my favourite things in music.

Up there with Bobby Jean as one my favourite wistful-song-about-mates songs. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a word for that, innit?

Iā€™m in the ā€˜tad overrated, but still pretty greatā€™ category. Like a lot of folks here Ingot it after hearing it favourably compared to so many of the bands I was into in the early-mid '00s. Venus, Elevation and the title track stood out and still do to be honest.

Saw them at Glastonbury and they were just about the fullest live act Iā€™ve ever seen (and Iā€™ve seen Mark Knopfler live), but this is about the album rather than the band so will go for a respectable 8.

1 Like

Listened to the first few tracks again and itā€™s still not doing a lot for me, although I think when he stops singing it does improve.

I feel really uneducated and shallow giving it a probably unpopular 6, but it just feels very mediocre to me today. Maybe if Iā€™d heard it on release I might think differently about it. I get that itā€™s really influential and well loved which just makes me feel a bit bad about it.

If someone else put it on then Iā€™d probably be happy enough having it in the background, but itā€™s not really something I think I would choose to listen to.

Yeah I think itā€™s my favourite music book. Has turned me on to so many things. Donā€™t think heā€™s a journo any more but Iā€™d love to ask him what would make the cut for the proceeding years!

only track i donā€™t really like is Guiding Light, which sounds a bit too soft rock

Torn Curtain is underrated

2 Likes

Same. Love the title track but have never made it all the way through the album. 3.

1 Like

My eyes are like telescopes
Dungdungdungdungdundundundududududuā€¦
I see down backwards but who wants hope!

2 Likes

On my third listen now and agreed. Surprised itā€™s the only track without any votes

Iā€™m finding the vocals very annoying. Do people love this album in spite of the vocals or is that part of the attraction?

this, itā€™s got the jerky-nervous quality that I like in post-punky vocalists

OK, fair enough. I like plenty of vocalist that others find annoying but the problem is itā€™s also drawing my attention to the lyrics which donā€™t seem to be very good

i think initially it might be slightly in spite of but soon enough they just become part of the albumā€™s charm

Havenā€™t listened to the album in full in a while so put it on last night. Apart from Marquee Moon, Tom Curtain is the only track Iā€™d really return to on a regular basis and donā€™t think thatā€™ll change.

Surprised not a single person voted for it as favourite track. Going to give it a pity vote right now.

Everyone pretends to not like the most famous track/most famous album/etc by any artist. Itā€™s just the rules.

1 Like

itā€™s a fucking brilliant record. 9

1 Like

Glad I could help!

It was genuinely awful, I feel duty bound to confirm that. Was there with two of my best mates, all massive fans and we were horrified. Best person on stage was Jimmy Rip, Verlaineā€™s playing was an embarrassment.

1 Like

Itā€™s nowhere near the most famous track though

But it is v good

oh wait, I misread it and thought theyā€™d said title track.

My point, while technically wrong, still stands. Somehow.

1 Like