28 Siamese Dream 7.64
29 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
30 It’s A Shame About Ray 7.52
31 Like A Prayer 7.46
32 Is This It 7.40
33 1989 6.80
34 Achtung Baby 6.73
35 Definitely Maybe 5.90

Remember trip hop? Used to be big in the 90s. Well, this week is Tricky - Maxinquaye, a classic of the genre (and a whole lot more) but how good is it really?

0 voters

Best track:

• Overcome
  • Ponderosa
  • Black Steel
  • Hell Is Round The Corner
  • Pumpkin
  • Aftermath
  • Abbaon Fat Tracks
  • Brand New You’re Retro
  • Suffocated Love
  • You Don’t
  • Strugglin’
  • Feed Me

0 voters

Next week’s album:

• Depeche Mode - Violator
  • The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
  • The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy
  • Love - Forever Changes
  • Four Tet - Rounds

0 voters

Blimey, setting up polls is a pain in the arse now isn’t it? What galaxy brain thought that change was a good idea?

1 Like

Fantastic record that still sounds unique. Hasn’t dated at all and i still listen to it regularly.

5 Likes

Easiest way I’ve found is to keep this bit

[poll type=regular results=always public=true chartType=bar]

In my phone notes to c&p, then c&p the options with *s in front of them, then [/poll] and just do it straight into the post itself.

Maxinquaye is 10/10, obviously. Brilliant record. Next week better finally be Forever Changes.

1 Like

Yep, that’s pretty much how I did it in the end. No way was I typing in every track name individually

1 Like

Is the riff in ‘Brand New You’re Retro’ actually a Michael Jackson sample? I’m assuming not as surely there would be legal repercussions from that.

Great record, one of the best of its period and type. It’s a shame that this record and the first two Portishead albums became associated with a lot of much inferior artists that didn’t really have much to do with them.

Maxinquaye still stands today as a sonically powerful, lyrically interesting and incredibly individual and unusual record. 9 out of 10.

1 Like

Always thought it was a direct sample from Bad, yeah.

Used to love it, was properly obsessed.

Probably over listened tbh so haven’t actually heard it for quite a while now.

So a nice excuse to re-listen. Imagine it will be a 10. Still think it will sound unique rather than dated and the songs should hold up.

I watched this performance of Black Steel repeatedly at the time, think in awe of Martina more than anything. So fucking cool.

1 Like

You can still feel the paranoia and almost smell the stench of skunk from the album. It really doesn’t sound much like the coffee table trip hop it got lumped in with.

3 Likes

Oh my, is that a Smashing Pumpkins sample? [Looks at track name] yes, it is!

1 Like

It’s a tremendous album. Vastly different to anything else I was listening to at the time of its release but was essential listening for me anyway. As others have said, it’s a deeply claustrophobic album, so dark yet full of hooks and fantastic melodies.

I love it.

Must have been a lot of cds dumped at charity shops.

1 Like

Oh fuck. One of my favourite albums. Absolutely brilliant, unsurpassed, except maybe by the follow-up.

Absolute classic that still sounds phenomenal

Excited to check this out as I only recently heard Pre Millennium Tension for the first time recently and absolutely loved it. Will report back!