šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Rio

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any amazing playing technique wise, but itā€™s quite sophisticated composition wise (lots of ghost notes and chromatic runs as I mentioned), not just following the root note of the chord

You definitely hit the snare with your right if youā€™re playing 16ths like that no?

Yes just tapped it with my fingers. You lose a hi-hat beat but thatā€™s normal. If you programmed it youā€™d keep the hi-hat which would sound ā€˜offā€™ but hard to tell why

If youā€™re RH youā€™re leading with your right, so to hit the snare when playing semiquavers you sacrifice a hi hat, like Theo said.

Like this.

1 Like

Yeah, I found some videos of people playing Rio and itā€™s always a right handed strike. I suppose you have easier access to the crash doing it like that (assuming you strike it on the one) otherwise you have to cross your hands. It just feels really awkward to me

It just fits with the RLRL pattern. You can essentially leave your left on the hi hat and have your right free to hit the snare, crashes, go over the ride, round the kit for little fills, etc.

1 Like

The Chauffeur is a tune, eh? This is probably the last album iā€™d of ever thought of actually listening to but it has some decent stuff on it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a fact about ZZ Top that will blow your mind.

3 Likes

I know that one :grinning:

19 hoursā€¦

20 minutes

1 Like

Wellā€¦ Itā€™s not last!

40 votes seemed very low so I tabulated them all while a very slow DB backup and restore is going on at work:

And rearranged by number of voters (I guess?) tells us what DiS really likes.

2 Likes

Ooh, my first ever real listen to Deftones

2 Likes

6.58 for Rio. No comment

@VincentAdultman can you pick a track that isnā€™t Hungry Like The Wolf please

2 Likes

My word!

1 Like

Oh, this is difficult but I going to choose The Chauffeur

1 Like

Thanks Vince, a fine choice

1 Like

Well looky here (especially @1101010)

2 Likes

Ha ha, thatā€™s quite something. Coxon joining Duran Duran?! Or maybe heā€™s just doing one track.

Also 3 years?! Even factoring in Covid thatā€™s a hell of a time to be tweaking