šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Siamese Dream

10/10 the production makes me feel like Iā€™m being wrapped in a fuzzy blanket and it reminds me of being 13 and on holiday in the Peak District listening to the tape copy I took out of Fareham Library.

2 Likes

I really really dislike Billyā€™s voice* so the music has to be pretty damn special in order to make SP enjoyable for me and here it is.

Soma is definitely the best track: those guitars are gorgeous! Lots of other great stand out moments too.

Would snap up an instrumental version like a shot.

*weird how personal/individual this isā€¦ On paper J Mascis has a similar ā€˜whiny high registerā€™ type voice but I absolutely love it.

1 Like

Oh great another Smashing Pumpkins thread!

3 Likes

prefer Gish and probably Machina, but excellent, excellent guitars throughout this. Just outrageously nice guitars. from the tone to the melodies to the noise. some nice songwriting as well.

2 Likes

Today is really really shit

2 Likes

one of the things i like about the pumpkins, and this era of rock in general, is that there isnā€™t much fretwanking to my ear, and a lot of pedals instead

Mondays are always bad, hope the week improves for you x

26 Likes

yeah right dead on, thereā€™s a kind of earnestness in there which is class

1 Like

a positive one for a change! (hopefully)

1 Like

comfortably the worst song on the album, but itā€™s a big single that launched them, so I get why it exists

oh and, lads, itā€™s a ten.

4 Likes

9 because Disarm is horrid but the rest is incredible

1 Like

WAT

4 Likes

The open rolls and build of Cherub Rock is still one of the all-time best moments in guitar music imho, think thatā€™s a song that doesnā€™t age or lose any power no matter how much you hear it

11 Likes

The heavy guitar tones are so all-encompassing andā€¦ hungry (for lack of a better word). Yeah the first half of Bamā€™s post basically. Great record, my favourite SP.

1 Like

the heavy version of Disarm is brilliant

7 Likes

Iā€™ve never listened to this album. Never been a fan of Billy Corganā€™s voice, so Iā€™ve never really bothered with them as a band. Maybe Iā€™ll have a listen this afternoon.

Until recently Iā€™ve only ever really known Smashing Pumpkins by their singles and obviously the fun of these forums. But I generally like the singles, even though it took me a while to realise it. I had a go with Mellon Collie recently but I didnā€™t get beyond the first few songs. (And it is such a shit title for an album as well).

So I guess I should give this a chance, although the poll will probably have expired long before I get a chance. Is this generally accepted as their best work?

Glad someone else said this. Probably my highlight of the whole album, although I went for Mayonnaise as the best track.

3 Likes

Itā€™s between this and Mellon Collie, but they have quite distinct feels from each other and some prefer the more shoegazey elements of this

1 Like