💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 Spiderland

8.45 for The Software Slump. Officially better than Loveless!

This week is Slint - Spiderland. Ignored on release, it’s now seen as a seminal record but how good is it really?

0 voters

1 Like

Best track:

• Breadcrumb Trail
  • Nosferatu Man
  • Don, Aman
  • Washer
  • For Dinner…
  • Good Morning, Captain

0 voters

Next week’s album:

• Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
  • The Verve - Urban Hymns
  • Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
  • Talking Heads - Remain In Light
  • Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come

0 voters

And yes, I know it’s called The Sophtware Slump but fucking autocorrect

2 Likes

FFS! I’m going to have to listen to Spiderland and try to not get bored again this week.

4 Likes

One of my all-time favourites. It took a while to grow on me - I first heard it as a teenager and I think, after hearing about it as the “originator of post-rock”, I didn’t really understand why cause it sounded more like normal rock. It took me a while to notice how strange and dynamic and unsettling the album is – and the fact is, my tastes have shifted and I’m not so big a fan of a lost of the post-rock stuff (i.e. the more shimmery anthemic stuff) that led me to Spiderland and much more into the low-key atmospherics and structural experimentationnnn

Incidentally I’m really glad that there’s a new wave of post-rocky bands pulling on those threads a bit - Black Country New Road, Deathcrash, and (to some extent) Black Midi

3 Likes

also, this album pick was well-timed to fit with this genuinely bizarre bit of news

5 Likes

One of the few uncontestable 10s

11 Likes

Never listened to this album and am unlikely to do so. Abstain.

1 Like

I’m sorry Ant. Maybe next week, eh?

1 Like

Doesn’t seem likely based on the poll!

1 Like

also another opportunity to plug

22 Likes

Oh, that’s a shame

1 Like

voted 9.5 because the screeching guitar in Breadcrumb Trail always makes me reach for the volume control
otherwise perfect

When this came up last week I voted for it straight away thinking “oh yeah, I always wondered what this album was like as read about it so much but not really thought about it since streaming came along”.

Listening to it now I realise this might be the fifth time I’ve had that thought, as I’ve definitely heard this before. Hopefully it makes a more lasting impression this time.

An all time Top 10 album for me, probably crack the top 5. Was a real slow burner though, a lot of my favourites are. Perfect album.

The full Lance Bangs Breadcrumb Trail documentary is on YouTube if anyone hasn’t seen it by the way.

(Trailer)

11 Likes

Better than loveless and not as good as the sophtware slump imo

3 Likes

Never heard of it but I might like it

The album cover’s great, the music’s never really grabbed me.

1 Like

One of the very very best. 10