šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Spirit Of Eden

Third favourite Talk Talk album, still a ten mind.

1 Like

What are your favourite and second favourite?

obviously heard this song a thousand times but had no idea who it was by until like a couple of years ago. my housemate put it on and it came up with Talk Talk and it blew my mind a bit. i mentioned that i only knew them as this experimental band who who did Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock and had no idea theyā€™d been popstars previously, while he on the other hand had no idea what Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock were.

2 Likes

anyway quite like this album but donā€™t listen to it that often. i canā€™t remember which song is which so i need to check which one i like the best. iā€™m thinking a 7 or an 8.

iā€™ve listened to Laughing Stock a couple of times too but not for a while now. which does everyone think is better?

• Spirit of Eden
  • Laughing Stock
  • one of the other ones

0 voters

This. Word for word

seems a bit too ā€¦ mannered so far? Or just maybe too mellow and smooth for me

1 Like

It the perfect midpoint of the more poppy stuff and the experimental last two albums

2 Likes

is that the one with Lifeā€™s What You Make It on it? thatā€™s a good tune. was introduced to it via Rowland S Howardā€™s cover

2 Likes

It is. There are few tracks that are Spirit Of Eden/Laughing Stock like but mostly itā€™s standard songs although with more ā€˜traditionalā€™ instruments instead of the synth pop of the early albums

1 Like
  1. Itā€™s just perfect in every way and sounds as amazing now as the day it was released. I still find it amazing that a synth pop band that released The Partyā€™s Over in 1982 could actually release an album like this just 6 years later.

And as far as Iā€™ve discovered there isnā€™t a single other artist that sounds like them, either before or after. Truly unique.

1 Like

I prefer the Bon Jovi cover

1 Like

Periodically give them another go but neither this or Laughing Stock have ever stuck. Will return again one day. Couldnā€™t say what it sounded like though so abstaining.

Colour Of Spring and Laughing Stock.

Laughing Stock is my favourite ā€œalbumā€ as a whole, but ā€œHappiness Is Easyā€, ā€œTime Its Timeā€ and ā€œApril 5thā€ are songs I listen to more than anything from Laughing Stock (except maybe ā€œNew Grassā€)

It took me ages to listen to Colour Of Spring as the narrative was always that the latter two albums are a completely different band, but Colour Of Spring is actually the perfect midpoint between their two sounds.

4 Likes

Given it a 9. Itā€™s obviously really good but itā€™s become just a tiny bit overrated over the years. I donā€™t think it is quite as earth-shatteringly profound as it thinks it is.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Happiness Is Easy is such a good album opener and has a rare thing of children singing that actually works

Everyone liking this, wait till you see what Iā€™ve chosen

1 Like

smā€™shing pā€™mpkā€™ns?

absolutely not

2 Likes

It is one of the few perfect albums and the run of their last three albums has to be one of the strongest runs of albums ever.

not that Iā€™ve got anything against the smashing pumpkins, I like them a lot. Iā€™m just saving that for a special occasion like Christmas or my birthday

1 Like