đź’ż How Good Is It Really đź’ż The Blue Album

Is This It drops into the relegation zone with 7.4

This week is Weezer - The Blue Album. Sure, it’s not as good as Pinkerton but how good is it really?

0 voters

Best track:

• My Name Is Jonas
  • No One Else
  • The World Has Turned And Left Me Here
  • Buddy Holly
  • Undone - The Sweater Song
  • Surf Wax America
  • Say It Ain’t So
  • In The Garage
  • Holiday
  • Only In Dreams

0 voters

Leaderboard:

Position Album Rating
1 Spirit Of Eden 9.06
2 Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven 8.80
3 Hounds Of Love 8.79
4 Illmatic 8.70
5 It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 8.51
6 Marquee Moon 8.47
7 The Sophtware Slump 8.45
8 Spiderland 8.44
9 Kid A 8.41
10 Illinois 8.34
11 Loveless 8.24
12 100 Broken Windows 7.97
13 Turn On The Bright Lights 7.91
14 The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 7.54
15 Is This It 7.40
16 Definitely Maybe 5.90

10 songs (8 of them great), 40 minutes, power-pop hits, twiddly solos, epic closer

About as good as this type of album could ever be

9/10

11 Likes

ruined by commercial radio
7/10, 9/10 in a vacuum

Next week’s album:

• Slowdive - Souvlaki
  • Massive Attack - Mezzanine
  • Shellac - 1000 Hurts
  • The Beatles - Revolver
  • The Verve - Urban Hymns

0 voters

No One Else is a very weird song thematically, hey?

11 Likes

Links into The World Has Turned though where he gets his comeuppance

2 Likes

It’s a 10. I cant think of any other albums where I have played it to death and it still sounds fresh and exciting.

Love its banger after banger but each song has something a bit different and unique to it.

Think The World Has Turned is really under rated but Only In Dreams is a sensational song, just the perfect closer

My HOT TAKE - Say It Ain’t So is the worst song on it

12 Likes

10 for all the love it’s given me.

(I was briefly seeing the title and thinking you’d picked the oddest Beatles album choice)

this is absolutely true, and I think it’s the “objective” best song, but I never listen to it on its own. Where Jonas or Surf Wax I can stick on any time and just feel better and happier

1 Like

Say It Aint’t So is definitely the worst song on it, possibly Weezer’s worst ever. I was really excited about them when they released Undone and Buddy Holly, but really didn’t like that single and it put me right off them.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

27 Likes

I can’t think of a Weezer song I like less than it, sorry. Find it clumpy and whiny.

Never heard any Weezer other than Buddy Holly which I actually quite like but always assumed I’d not like their other stuff for some reason. Going to listen to this now.

A good record. 8/10.

6 Likes

Supremely overrated, 6/10

2 Likes

1 Like

Shite. Weezer are shite. This is shite. Why does everyone think Weezer are good at music?

6 Likes

My favourite ablum of all time, as my… * squints at the Ikea Kalax on the other side of the room *…six vinyl copies will attest.

It’s everything I love in music crammed into 41:17 and there’s not a single thing I’d change about it. Utterly perfect, lightning in a bottle stuff that ultimately only set them up for 25 years of diminshing returns (Pinkerton’s a 9, soz) and failure.

8 Likes