💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill

It’s brilliant. Definite 9 out of 10 at least and couldn’t really argue with a 10.

love this album

went with a 9, could easily have been a 10 but i’m saving that for marquee moon next week

1 Like

6/10.

Easy 5… a stunning record.
So good that my wife & I named our daughter Lauryn.

1 Like

Surely you could bump up to a 6 or 7 then?

9 Likes

lol - gave it a 10 actually.

Don’t like The Fugees. Don’t like Lauryn Hill. Don’t like this album.

It does tail off a little bit towards the second half, but it still captures a perfect moment and feel of being around and enjoying the company of friends and family.

It does it so well, and sounds so effortless, and unplanned, that it was almost inevitable that it would never be repeated.

Same here. Can’t say I’ve liked anything I’ve heard rom Lauren Hill or thre Fugees. To be fair, though, I’ve never listened to the album, never particularly wanted to, but maybe I should give it the benefit of the doubt.

Didnt realise it was possible not to like the fugees. Pure joyous 90s summer nostalgia for me.

8 Likes

A couple of real standouts, and filled with talent and skill. However too much of it heads towards that smooth, soulful sound that just sends me to sleep. Wish she rapped more than she sang

6 I think

Going with a 7. It is a good album, no doubt about that, but a Classic Album, nope.

1 Like

An 8 for me

minus 4 points for singing “Can’t take my eyes off of you” and having the audacity to give the song that title.

Talent basically dripping out of every second of this thing. I get that the interludes might feel skippable these days but actually they’re pretty sweet and weave a naive and rather lovely thread through the whole thing.

The vocal runs in the last chorus of Superstar are from heaven. The Combination of her and D’Angelo is gorgeous. Rapping? 10. Singing? 10. Production? 10. Songwriting? 10. Forgive them father is not my bag but it doesn’t taint the record. Also the singles are some of the greatest ever.

Just a really generous, joyful moment in time that I’m grateful for and spin loads.

5 Likes

It’s a pure 10. How you gonna win when you ain’t right within

2 Likes

I mean what?

She’s literally covering this track

(Sorry, for me this is a famous track and I can’t really conceive of someone never having heard it before outside of the context of this album.)

Clearly it’s a classic album - look at how long it’s lasted in people’s minds and hearts etc.

It’s just one of many such albums that I (and I guess you) don’t feel wildly strongly about.

:thinking:

I literally put my point / complaint in bold

Yeah but the ‘of’ is in the lyrics of the original

So yeah you’re right that it shouldn’t be in the title (actually it’s not in the title on Wikipedia’s listing which is odd) but it’s not like she is doing two things wrong because she’s singing what the lyrics have.