🌑 How Good Is It Really 🌑 The Moon

Quite like the moon. Love it when you can see it in the daytime. Feels a bit cheeky. Naughty moon!

15 Likes

Oh and blah blah they accidentally invent useful stuff when they’re trying to get to the moon so don’t worry about the cost you guys

Slag off the moon, I dare you. See what happens. You’d be nothing without her. NOTHING

8 Likes

People say this a lot as if it’s a good argument for funding space programmes but isn’t this argument “it’s an incredibly inefficient R&D lab for consumer products”?

In the old days when we were allowed to go places I used to love seeing a big bright full moon when smashed. I would have conversations with it, sing to it, that kinda game.

2 Likes

The Moon might be outmuscled by those Galilean fellows, Titan and Triton, but (apart from Charon*) it’s by far the biggest moon relative to the size of the planet it orbits. The moon is a GBOL, and is awesome enough without BBC News and the Guardian trying to get excited about another full moon that’s pretty much the same as the last one.

*Charon gets this on a technicality 'cos Pluto ain’t a planet nowadays. Charon is awesome too

4 Likes

Don’t listen

2 Likes

the silly thing about all the constant full moon excitement is that’s when the moon is at its dullest. Direct sunlight = no shadows, no relief, no contrast. See when you’ve got binoculars or a telescope, and you’re at first quarter or crescent phase and the mountains & craters on the terminator are casting giant shadows across the moon’s surface - that’s your moon money shot. Earthshine rocks too, and you don’t get that with a measly full moon

3 Likes

It’s hard to know what the application of some stuff will be though. There are loads of industries where we take things for granted that are the result of someone trying to do something else. Like Marmite, for example.

Space travel isn’t worthless, is really all I’m saying and it’s wrong to assume that it only serves the obvious purpose of putting people or things into space. The ISS is used to do lots of research, a lot of what they find has actual use.

4 Likes

No she isn’t!!! She’s perfect. Stop this immediately.

1 Like

Im not going to read this thread but just know that if you’re anti-moon, c***, I will fucking end you one day

2 Likes

Never! A half or crescent moon is worth two dozen full moons. Plus she doesn’t block the stars out so badly and shares the sky with her twinkly buddies. And don’t get me started on Pluto. Pluto’s awesome, but if ever there was a lump of rock & ice that was in the right place at the right time, Pluto’s it. Promoted wayyyyyy above its station far too early.

2 Likes

Marmite is from fucking space!?!?!?!?

1 Like

The moon’s a gbol but like fuck should we spend gazillions of quids chucking tins up on it anymore

1 Like

I like the idea of it more than the actual physical object thing

feel bad for the moon in that it’s stuck (gravity wise) to the most try hard, malcolm planet in the galaxy.

7 Likes

Why are they waiting until Monday? What are they going to announce?

Probably something boring like microbes or the existence of a small puddle that dried up 1.2 billion years ago or something

1 Like