💿 How Good Is It Really 💿 The Sophtware Slump

8.24 for Loveless. As @anon19035908 said, over 181 votes that is a very good score

This week is Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump. Melody Maker gave it 6/10 but how good is it really?

0 voters

1 Like

Best track:

• He’s Simple, He’s Dumb, He’s The Pilot
  • Hewlett’s Daughter
  • Jed The Humanoid
  • The Crystal Lake
  • Chartsengrafs
  • Underneath The Weeping Willow
  • Broken Household Appliance National Forest
  • Jed’s Other Poem (Beautiful Ground)
  • E. Knievel Interlude (The Perils Of Keeping It Real)
  • Miner At The Dial-A-View
  • So You’ll Aim Toward The Sky

0 voters

10 (ten) out of ten (10). More to come when I’m less busy!

5 Likes

Next week’s album:

• Björk - Homogenic
  • The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy
  • U2 - Achtung Baby
  • Slint - Spiderland
  • The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

0 voters

9/10 - point knocked off for chartsengrafs

I’ve never listened to this album and it is highly unlikely that I ever will. Abstain.

1 Like

what is it that’s putting you off? Have you heard them at all?

They’re “a band” is my understanding of the situation and a “fairly old” one at that. Doesn’t seem like my cup of tea as a result.

1 Like

sounds like you’ve got 'em pegged

8 Likes

Probably the album most likely to make me cry. It really is an absolutely stunning listen. 9

7 Likes

I love the opening track so much that for the longest time the rest of the album didn’t stand a chance. It got there in the end though - it’s almost more interesting to argue about what the second best piece on here is. For me it’s between Hewlett’s Daughter, Jed the Humanoid and Jed’s Other Poem.

It’s not a perfect record - chartsandgraffs and Broken Household Appliance Tuneless Slackerdrone Forest let the side down, but for the highs it entirely deserves the regard it gets.

Going to stick it on now, actually.

4 Likes

While Broken Household Appliance… is one of the weaker tracks on the album it does contain the line “owls fly out of oven doors” which I’ve always thought is a fantastic image

2 Likes

BHANF is awesome and I won’t hear otherwise.

27 Likes

Easy ten for me. Charts and Broken Household Appliance are less than perfect, but they have their moments. Including the aforementioned owls fly out of oven doors lyric.
I voted for He’s Simple… as my favourite song, but it could easily be either Jed song, The Crystal Lake, Miner, Aim Towards The Sky. What an album.

3 Likes

Hadn’t heard it until lockdown. It’s good and I enjoyed it. Not sure how innovative or anything it was at the time because I was listening to S Club 7 back then, but it must be of some merit if it broke through the 2 year stranglehold Ariana Grande has had on my ears. Got big time for Crystal Lake, He’s Simple He’s Dumb etc, Broken Household National etc.

Not as good as Loveless though so a solid 7/10 here.

3 Likes

Love Grandaddy. That’s all.

3 Likes

Never heard it in full. Going in

1 Like

Easy peasy 10.

Another contender for my top five bands of all time

Ahhh I love it
Hard to separate from nostalgia as they were a proper formative band for me, heard AM 180 on colin murray’s radio 1 show when I was like 13, one of the first semi obscure indie bands I got into. Still stands up really well though I think and I absolutely love the concept

1 Like

Ok zoomer

1 Like