šŸ’æ How Good Is It Really šŸ’æ Turn On The Bright Lights

Will admit finding the delivery of ā€˜oh look its stopped snowingā€™ genuinely exhilarating

6 Likes

I find it a bit head scratching about how lauded this album is Obstacle 1, Untitled and NYC are flat out brilliant, Stella is ok and the rest is landfill indie NYC style.
Itā€™s just dull. :man_shrugging:

meh /5

1 Like

If itā€™s not TPAB Iā€™m quitting the boards

1 Like

Didnā€™t listen to this Interpol album when it first came out, and came to it years later. It got so much love and so highly revered that it was always going to be an underwhelming experience for me. Iā€™ve gone with 6/10. Itā€™s so samey. Maybe you had to be there

3 Likes

If itā€™s not Rio Iā€™m going to refuse to do the thread

4 Likes

5 Likes

I donā€™t think Banks thinks theyā€™re silly.

But equally I donā€™t think he cares much so that the true answer is that they arenā€™t very literal.

1 Like

Iā€™ve given it a 5.

Itā€™s a great mood album but itā€™s not a thinker. PDA is the only truly great song on the album.

Iā€™ve enjoyed it immensely in the part but now it is just a safe background album for when you donā€™t want to worry about annoying any mates.

I think single feeling albums always hit big if theyā€™re done well bit being into Joy Division was definitely a big thing at the time.

This has been one of my all-time favourite albums for so long now. I couldnā€™t get enough of it when I first heard it, and kept it with me for several years.

Gut reaction was immediate 10, but Iā€™ve not heard it in a while so going to have another run through.

Untitled as best track for me. Thereā€™s just something about it that breaks me.

But I donā€™t think there are any particular weak points to the album. There are a few songs I donā€™t think I am that fussed about, and then suddenly there will be a little guitar moment or something and Iā€™ll just be completely hooked again. PDA for example is only quite a good song but the ending is just amazing.

Only problem I have is that interpol peaked a little too soon. Theyā€™ve not done anything very interesting since Antics, which is also great but not up to the level of Bright Lights.

1 Like

I think it would be dishonest of them/anyone to not say thereā€™s a similarity of vocal tone there and even if the band themselves are closer to like Television or Bauhaus or the Chameleons - but really itā€™s more that theyā€™re a pastiche of that post punk sound of which Joy Division were maybe the most culturally significant.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re also sadly not as good as any of those bands

2 Likes

Got into this album at a time when I didnā€™t know any 70s/80s post-punk, got really into post-punk years later and assumed this album would now suffer in retrospect having become very familiar with the source material, but it really didnā€™t. Still love it.

Also I first started listening to Joy Division because of all the Interpol comparisons and when I first listened to Isolation I immediately went ā€˜holy shit itā€™s Paul Banksā€™ so I think the JD comparisons are pretty justified yeah. Considering some of the other bands Iā€™ve seen routinely compared to JD (British Sea Power? The National??) then this one feels a lot more accurate

2 Likes

I think itā€™s the vocals that draw the Joy Division comparisons. If they had a different singer Iā€™m not sure youā€™d see it so much

1 Like

primarily the vocals yeah, but theyā€™re still a gloomy post-punk band with very melodic basslines, i think the comparisons would still be inevitable

they donā€™t sound exactly alike or anything but thereā€™s enough common ground

1 Like

I think Iā€™d give it a 10 for Untitled alone tbh.

9 Likes
  1. An all timer for me
1 Like

After joking about voting for the ā€œsafe white optionā€ a couple weeks ago I managed to completely miss the public enemy thread :rofl: glad to see it got a rightful score though.

As for TOTBL well its my favourite album of all time so what score do you think I gave it

3 Likes

Up there with my ATD albums. Canā€™t add too much to whatā€™s been said already. Picked it up on a geography field trip studying urban geography of town centres (CBDs anybody). Instantly fell in love with it. Yes, the lyrics are toss, but who cares.

Iā€™m chuckling to myself about someone having such high standards that their all time favourite album is only a 7/10

3 Likes