How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? #1 BRET HART

Alright, you jabroni marks? Let’s see if there are any legs in this. Think it’s worth doing as separate threads so that those with nostalgic memories of wrestling but don’t watch anymore can get involved if they like as happened when we did the TOP 100 list.

Could be an absolute shit-show, could be a bit of fun, could be both! Let’s find out. I’ll mostly be working off that TOP 100 list going forward if this goes well and continues, but feel free to suggest me others, not on that list.

We’ll start with the original suggestion from @thesewoodenideas from a semi-joking post in a thread about how good Black Sabbath are really, BRET “THE HITMAN” HART who I reckon is a good place as any to start.

How Good was Bret Hart really?

0 voters

1 Like

Favourite Match:

• Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper (Wrestlemania 8)
  • Bret Hart vs British Bulldog (Summerslam '92)
  • Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect (King of the Ring '93)
  • Bret Hart vs Owen Hart (Wrestlemania 10)
  • Bret Hart vs Owen Hart cage match (Summerslam '94)
  • Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund (Wrestlemania 11)
  • Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels iron man match (Wrestlemania 12)
  • Bret Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (Wrestlemania 13)
  • Canadian Stampede USA vs Canada 10-man-tag
  • Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit Owen Hart tribute match (Nitro '99)

0 voters

heard him described as “the best there was, the best there is, the best there ever will be”. dunno who said it, but it seems accurate

Great look, great in the ring, not an all time great on the mic though. Has to be a 4

1 Like

Before anyone asks I did include the Backlund match there as a joke because it’s unintentionally hilarious.

underrated on the mic imo. that “frustrated ain’t the goddamn word” promo is so so good.

“WHO ARE YOU TO DOUBT EL DANDY” is great too

3 Likes

One of the absolute best, certainly technically at least.
Can see how he may have been a bit drab to some as he was down the line when he spoke.
Fucked over horrendously by Vince.
Good lad.

2 Likes

A mate of mine named his hamster after him!

2 Likes

One of my favourites so had to give top marks. Obviously, not the greatest on the mic, but in the ring and the amount of work that goes into his matches, even before he gets in there is amazing.
One of the masters of selling (an art that is totally lost in the current generation) and I love him for it.

1 Like
4 Likes

this is a niche joke and it got me worried I hadn’t seen a film about Bret The Hitman Hart there.

Wrestling With Shadows is however a fascinating film if people haven’t seen it, was the first time it really got exposed what pieces of shit Vince and (at the time) Shawn Michaels were

1 Like

OH YAH I FORGOT, YOU WEREN’T EVEN ON SIMPSONS

god i fucking love him

8 Likes

'97 Bret is probably my favourite thing to ever happen in wrestling even if that includes a very shitty ending

3 Likes

5 for his 1997 run alone. I’d say he was a 4 prior to then as wasnt a very compelling character but that heel run was incredible and tips him over the line

1 Like

@sean :file_cabinet:

1 Like

big fan of Brett vs The Undertaker, Summerslam 1997

2 Likes

think it might be time to finally shut this website down y’know

Absolute clinician and along with Shawn and Eddie probably the biggest influences on today’s style. Groundbreaking when it came to smaller, more athletic guys wrestling believably. Also some of the best tag matches ever with Hart Foundation, especially the 2 out of 3 falls match with Demolition. Passing him up for Hogan at Mania 9 was one of the worst decisions Vince ever made, but he was maybe underdeveloped at that point - he really brought it all together with the mic skills for his heel run. He’s a 5.

2 Likes

Only 2 time King of The Ring.
Weird they didn’t broadcast the first few KotRs

1 Like

Was never a Bret fan really, he was a bit too early for my enjoyment of the product