How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? #1 BRET HART

I’m gonna try something here and make links between wrestlers but am aware it might mean some more underrated guys and girls might get constantly put on the back burner so tell me if it’s a bad idea/might scrap it myself anyway BUT

Who would we like to see next:

• Stone Cold Steve Austin
  • Shawn Michaels
  • Owen Hart
  • Jim Neidhart
  • Natalya

0 voters

Stone Cold so I can post the Stone Cold ET vid

1 Like

Steve Austin will be a lot of fun

2 Likes

Gotta be Shawn.
If he gets a higher mark Bret will come on to complain

6 Likes

Bret perfected that sell over many years - it’s his version of the hand-spring thing Ric Flair used to do into the corner. For me, the best wrestlers are the ones who make the others look good. Was watching Ted DiBiase at Wrestlemania 4 last night and the length he’d go to sell a move was ridiculous. Brilliant to watch.

2 Likes

the people have spoken:

Hi guys I went to summer slam 92 (if that was the Wembley one)

Me and my sis were massive hitman fans so as the crowd all chanted bulldog bulldog bulldog we filled the gaps with hitman hitman hitman.

Simpler times.

4 Likes

This you? :wink:

3 Likes

YES!

4 Likes

Is it actually?

Oh wow that’s so cool! Apparently it still holds the actual WWF/E attendance record

1 Like

I’m sure he wouldn’t have won anyway but I probably should have included Bulldog is this poll, whoops

A 1 for the hair alone.

1 Like

Bulldog’s an interesting one cuz that match with Bret when he’s completely off his nut is clearly his peak (and even then it’s largely because of Bret guiding him) but he had some other solid stuff, would probably give him a 3?

1 Like

Actually a 5 for shouting “he fell on his fookin arse!” At the shockmaster’s debut

3 Likes

I’ll keep all of my opinions and annecdotage for the Great British Bulldog Thread :grinning:

1 Like

Bret was my childhood hero.

I found him to be a very genuine character. Everything he said was believable. He had good morals and fought for what was right without being all over the top about it like Hulk.

His ring work speaks for itself. His knack for the subtleties is unparalleled.

His heel work in 97 was just superb. I loved it.

An underrated trait of his matches was that he didn’t necessarily need to use the Sharpshooter to win. It was a formidable finisher that finished most guys but he also was very canny and used his “ring smarts” to beat top opponents (see the wins against Piper at WM8, Austin at Survivor Series 96 and Diesel at Survivor Series 95 as some examples off the top of my head). In many cases you’re waiting for the finisher to be hit, or even 3 or 4 these days for the match to be over.

3 Likes

missed this thread, but I just watched Bret v Taker Summerslam '97 for the first time.

best match I’ve ever seen. so, so good.

would have given Bret a 5.

2 Likes

this is what I was thinking just watching that ^ match vs. Taker just now. immaculate.

2 Likes

watched this earlier, neatly explains why both were so good but particularly bret’s selling. never seen this match i don’t think, will watch it tonight

2 Likes