🤼‍♂ How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? 🤼‍♀ #13 Mick Foley 🙂

THE GAME 'RIPPLE H scores a middling 3.48, rightfully behind King Bookah who finally gets his revenge in the process.

Wrestler Rating
Chris Jericho (3) 4.69
Kurt Angle (2) 4.55
Stone Cold Steve Austin (1) 4.36
William Regal (18) 4.1
Bret Hart (9) 4.07
CM Punk (16) 3.85
Booker T (48) 3.72
Brock Lesnar (30) 3.52
Triple H (13) 3.48
John Cena (17) 3.43
Rob Van Dam (47) 3.4
Becky Lynch (28) 3.2

Next up, arguably Hunter’s best rival, it’s the three faces of fear, his momma’s baby boy, one half of the Rock ‘n’ Sock Connection, the hardcore legend, THE COMMISH, Dude Love, Cactus Jack, Mankind…

It’s MICK FOLEY!

So, how good was Mick Foley really?

0 voters

30 matches here:

• Cactus Jack vs Mil Mascaras (NWA Clash of Champions X: Texas Shootout 1990)
  • Chamber of Horrors match (WCW Halloween Havoc '91)
  • Cactus Jack vs Sting (Falls Count Anywhere Match, WCW Beach Blast '92)
  • Cactus Jack vs Ron Simmons (WCW World Title Match, Clash of Champions XX)
  • Cactus Jack vs Vader (Texas Death Match, WCW Halloween Havoc '93)
  • Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne vs The Nasty Boys (Chicago Street Fight WCW Tag Titles, Spring Stampede '94)
  • Cactus Jack vs Terry Funk (ECW Hardcore Heaven '94)
  • Cactus Jack vs Sabu (ECW Hamburg Show, Nov '94)
  • Cactus Jack, 2 Cold Scorpio & Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guererro & The Steiner Brothers (ECW Wrestlepalooza '95)
  • Mankind vs The Undertaker (King of the Ring '96)
  • Mankind vs Shawn Michaels (WWF Title Match, In Your House: Mind Games Sep, '96)
  • Mankind & Vader vs Owen Hart & British Bulldog (WWF Tag Ttitles, Wrestlemania 13)
  • Mankind vs Triple H (King of the Ring Final '97)
  • Cactus Jack vs Triple H (Street Fight, Raw @ MSG, Sep '97)
  • Royal Rumble “Three Faces of Foley” 1998
  • Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie vs The New Age Outlaws (Tag Team Dumpster Match, Wrestlemania XIV)
  • Dude Love vs Steve Austin (WWF Title Match, Over the Edge '98)
  • Mankind vs The Undertaker (Hell in a Cell, King of the Ring '98)
  • Mankind vs The Rock (Deadly Games Final, Survivor Series '98)
  • Mankind vs The Rock (WWF Title I Quit Match, Royal Rumble '99)
  • Mankind vs The Big Show (Wrestlemania XV)
  • Cactus Jack vs Triple H (WWF Title Street Fight, Royal Rumble 2000)
  • Cactus Jack vs Triple H (Hell in a Cell, No Way Out 2000)
  • A McMahon in Every Corner! (WWF Title Match, Wrestlemania 2000)
  • Rock ‘n’ Sock vs Evolution (Wrestlemania XX)
  • Cactus Jack vs Randy Orton (WWF Intercontinental No Holds Barred Falls Count Anywhere match, Backlash 2004)
  • Mick Foley vs Edge (Hardcore match, Wrestlemania 22)
  • Mick Foley vs Sting (TNA World Title Six Sides of Steel match, Lockdown 2009)
  • Mick Foley vs Abyss (Monster’s Ball match, TNA Bound For Glory 2009)
  • Royal Rumble 2012

0 voters

He’s a bit like Triple H for me where his actual wrestling career is a 3 but gains an extra point for being probably the nicest guy in the whole industry and being quite influential in the lengths he was willing to abuse his body for the sake of entertainment (although that has a negative impact both on him and wrestling as a whole)

Good lad, can only hope that he can enjoy his later life considering what he’s put himself through

2 Likes

ugh, that’s gonna put some butts in the seats

5 Likes

Ah, I love Mick. Genuinely up there amongst the best ever on the mic, and he was able to have decent matches with a pretty big range of people, even if it generally involved him half killing himself. Should probably have called it a day after the Orton match, it was generally diminishing returns from there. Seems in not bad shape at the moment considering, got the impression he was in a bit of a bad place a few years ago.

He’s a 4 or a 5. One of the best promo guys of all time in terms of eloquence and complexity, and held his own as a real main eventer at a time when wrestling was at its most crowded with genuine superstars. His work in ecw was incredibly ahead of his time and feuds with guys like Funk, The Rock, Triple H were probably the best of their careers. Incredible versatility of character if not ring work. Always an element of cringe watching even his best stuff though because you know he’s sacrificing his body quite literally.

His hardcore style’s not for everyone and he wasn’t about to put on a clinic or chain wrestle anyone but his brawling was exciting and worked with a surprising amount of people. Hugely influential, for better or worse, and a lot of the AEW guys in particular take a huge cue from him.

7 Likes

The Edge match in 2006 is great too but yeah he should have called it there at the latest. His TNA run looks so sad

Probably the wrestler that gave the most of their physical self to the sport. Could’ve died many times. Huge fun personality, put on some brilliant matches, even if they are not good to watch now (The Rock I quit match), nice to have his input in the business now. Probably not up there with the best wrestlers, but man could he take a bump and put over a load of future stars in WWF/WWE.

He’s a five for me. He’s the only person that’s ever got me interested in “hardcore” wrestling and as with Angle was just endlessly entertaining in pretty much anything he did.

Clearly his in ring work isn’t at the same level as a number of others on the list, but it’s solid enough and I’ve always been voting on overall entertainment rather than technical ability.

3 Likes

Also probably the most famous match of all time in that hell in a cell, that bump off the cage, if a wrestler’s job is to promote himself he pretty much cemented him image in pop culture history (even if that is man falls off cage). Lucky to survive it tbh.

2 Likes

4 verging on 5.

His promos and character work were excellent, and surely a big influence on how modern wrestlers handle having multiple personas. The bringing back Cactus Jack moment in the HH feud was awesome.

In ring he could be really compelling, and no one can fault his dedicaton and courage. The minus point is that it wasn’t sustainable, and probably not a good influence on upcoming wrestlers. Stuff like the infamous HIAC and that I Quit Match with the Rock are more gruesome than entertaining.

1 Like

It’s the one through the cell that gets me. They’re both horrible bumps, but one bit of over rotation and he’d have been in all sorts of trouble. He ended up bad enough as it is. How on earth he finished the match after that fall is beyond me.

3 Likes

that’s a good point about his mic/promo work actually, he was brilliant at it at his peak which I sometimes forget

Abolutely, these are GOAT level imho

4 Likes

I always find it amazing that the table spot off the cell basically kicks off the match

3 Likes

I love the story that in the early 90s Cornette and J.R brought him in to WCW but JIm Herd the tv exec in charge at the time refused to give him a contract because of his image and style. So instead, they had him on rolling jobber short term handshakes, but put him in tag matches so the other guy could be squashed by the signed talent, and then Cactus could turn on the jobber every time. Helped build a star to the point wcw had to give him a go :smiley:

1 Like

He was surprisingly agile back then too (also jesus JR looks about 12)

3 Likes

those sit down interviews with JR as well where they went through his backyard stuff and the hardcore shit in japan

3 Likes

him, kurt angle, stone cold and the rock are probably my only fives.

loved me a bit of mick foley.

1 Like