🤼‍♂ How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? 🤼‍♀ #3 CM PUNK ✊

Stone Cold takes the early lead from Bret Hart which was probably to be expected, gonna be a tough score to beat.

Wrestler Rating
Stone Cold Steve Austin 4.36
Bret Hart 4.07

Let’s skip forward a few years and visit the next man and woman to take on the Stone Cold character, starting with, CM Punk!

How will the voice for the voiceless, the leader of the nexus, straight edge society, and possibly The Shield fare?

0 voters

Favourite Match:

• CM Punk vs Samoa Joe (ROH Punk vs Joe II)
  • CM Punk vs Austin Aries (ROH Death Before Dishonor)
  • CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy (Summerslam 2009)
  • CM Punk vs John Cena (Money in the Bank 2011)
  • CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan (Over the Limit 2012)
  • CM Punk vs The Undertaker (Wrestlemania 29)
  • CM Punk vs Chris Jericho (Payback 2013)
  • CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar (Summerslam 2013)

0 voters

Think he’s such a snide little prick that I struggle to enjoy him

When is Kurt Ngle

2 Likes

Wrote this when I was 17;

http://onlineworldofwrestling.com/columns/misc/jordandowling01.html

Not really a fan overall tbh. Find the “worked shoot” stuff really cringey.

1 Like

All in good time, can’t spunk our collective load too soon

I disapprove of these threads

That MITB match and angle is probably in my all-time top-5

2 Likes

This one is complicated you see - he had an amazing run in 2011 in particular and had great matches dotted through out his entire WWE career - he was the edge that had people flocking back to the product briefly during its most sanatized period but outside of that I don’t have that many fond memories of him. The Straight Edge society was great but ended abruptly.

This is more due to poor booking than anything but he’s no Austin/Bret and since he left many other superior in-ring workers have surfaced.

I’ll say a 3.5 rounded up to a 4 seems fair on balance (he deserves more than a 3) the cult of personality schtick grew kinda grating towards the end. He deffo benefited being in the roster he was in at the time - that roster was so bad.

1 Like

Lighting in a bottle - as proved every other time they’d try to replicate it with Punk since
But it was the most exciting thin to happen the last decade outside of Bryans title win

2 Likes

His mic/promo work as a heel was fantastic. Don’t like him at all as a face and for the most part don’t enjoy his in-ring work much.

1 Like

Don’t really know a lot about him tbh, he was kind of breaking through as my interest waned and by the time he was in wwf I’d long since checked out.
My brother was a massive fan and would excitedly tell me all about him though. A real cool guy who loves Pepsi and has a Pepsi tattoo and has Pepsi inspired moves! Wow what a prick I thought. My brother went straight edge around this time and loved to tell people about it. Innocently enough I asked ‘and are you into Minor Threat’ - he was baffled. He went straight edge solely because of cm punk.
When I finally got to see cm punk in action he was grand but his wrestling skills and persona are not on the level of the guys we’ve already covered imo.
The whole I’m leaving/fired is it kayfabe or not was a bit shit too from what I saw of it.
Anyway that’s probably all I can say about him and my anecdotes about him. Might abstain.

2 Likes

After my time, I’ve watched bits and bobs of the stuff 2000-2020 but never seen him i don’t think

What?

3 Likes

What?

2 Likes

Along with AJ Lee, probably the best thing on WWE when I was watching. Was given good angles, gave an excellent promo and was one of the more watchable of that era in the ring. Probably wasn’t treated right given his popularity and the way part timers picked up all the top spots, but showed himself to be a diva in the way he threw his toys out the pram and a prick over the Colt Cabana stuff.

Hope it’s true that he’s mellowed out a lot in recent years, because all that anger and bitterness can do awful things to a person. There’d be money in another run, but I don’t want to see it unless his heart’s there.

1 Like

What?

just mute them and let us have fun interacting with other friendly people about a subject we have an interest in?

1 Like