🤼‍♂ How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? 🤼‍♀ #41 Ted DiBiase 💸

Thank you for participating in the Brodie Lee tribute thread, I hope we did him well.

Wrestler Rating
Chris Jericho (3) 4.69
Kurt Angle (2) 4.55
Mick Foley (10) 4.55
Daniel Bryan (5) 4.38
Macho Man Randy Savage (12) 4.37
Stone Cold Steve Austin (1) 4.36
Eddie Guerrero (8) 4.28
Ric Flair (11) 4.23
The Undertaker (7) 4.22
The Steiner Brothers (n/a) 4.22*
Shawn Michaels (6) 4.21
William Regal (18) 4.1
Bret Hart (9) 4.07
Owen Hart (21) 3.95
“Mr. Perfect” Curt Hennig (22) 3.91
CM Punk (16) 3.85
Jake “The Snake” Roberts (20) 3.81
The Road Warriors/Legion of Doom (106) 3.74
Diamond Dallas Page (41) 3.73
Booker T (48) 3.72
Charlotte Flair (34) 3.69
Vince McMahon (66) 3.55
Kane (19) 3.54
Brock Lesnar (30) 3.52
Triple H (13) 3.48
John Cena (17) 3.43
Rob Van Dam (47) 3.4
“Rowdy” Roddy Piper (37) 3.36
Becky Lynch (28) 3.2
Ron Simmons (114) 3.18
Big Van Vader (58) 3.17
Shane McMahon (59) 3.17
A.P.A (90) 3.15
Sting (52) 3.12
The Big Boss Man(36) 3.1
The British Bulldogs (n/a) 3.09
Scott Steiner (55) 3.08
Davey Boy Smith (96) 2.94
Dynamite Kid (83) 2.9
The Big Show (166) 2.76
Stephanie McMahon (n/a) 2.36
Hulk Hogan (61) 2.33
D-X (n/a) 2.33
Goldberg (51) 2.3
JBL (n/a) 1.56

And now, AHAHAHAHAHA… it’s time for the MILLION DOLLAR MAN, BECAUSE EVERYBODY’S GOT A PRICE (and some questionable optics over slavery which we’ll get into later) HE’S THE MAN WHO FORMED MONEY, INC. THE MILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION, NWO AND IS A LEGIT STAR IN ALL JAPAN IT’S “TRILLIONAIRE”…

Ted DiBiase!

So, How Good Was Ted DiBiase really?

0 voters

Favourite Matches/Moments
  • Ted DiBiase joins the WWWF in 1979 and is awarded the first-ever “North American Title” which he loses to Pat Patterson, who unified his “South American Title” to create the Intercontinental Title!
  • Ted DiBiase is Hulk Hogan’s debut opponent at MSG! (Dec 17, 1979)
  • Ted DiBiase leaves to work NWA/Mid-South Wrestling, winning the United National Championship from Jerry Lawler (Oct 14, 1983)
  • While doing so, Ted DiBiase joins AJPW and is a two-time tag champ with Stan Hansen, who has a two-year reign ended in a classic with Jumbo Tsuruta & Tiger Mask (July 3, 1987)
  • Ted DiBiase returns to WWF and “buys” the World Heavyweight Championship by getting Andre the Giant to defeat Hulk Hogan on his behalf! (WWF The Main Event, Feb 5th, 1988)
  • The Title reign is annulled, creating a tournament at Wrestlemania IV at -redacted- Plaza! Ted would lose in the final to Macho Man Randy Savage in the only watchable match in that shitshow!
  • Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage vs. Andre The Giant & Ted DiBiase Referee: Jesse Ventura (SummerSlam '88)
  • Hercules & Hillbilly Jim & Hulk Hogan & Koko B Ware & Randy Savage vs. Akeem & Big Boss Man & Haku & Ted DiBiase & The Red Rooster (Survivor Series '88)
  • Royal Rumble '89
  • Brutus Beefcake vs. Ted DiBiase (WrestleMania V)
  • Ted DiBiase vs. Jimmy Snuka (SummerSlam '89)
  • Ax & Hulk Hogan & Jake Roberts & Smash vs. Ted DiBiase & The Barbarian & The Warlord & Zeus (Survivor Series '89)
  • Royal Rumble '90
  • Ted DiBiase vs. Jake Roberts (Million Dollar Title Match, WrestleMania VI)
  • The Ultimate Warrior vs. Ted DiBiase (WWF World Heavyweight Title Match, The Main Event '90)
  • Cain The Undertaker & Greg Valentine & Honky Tonk Man & Ted DiBiase vs. Bret Har & Dusty Rhodes & Jim Neidhart & Koko B Ware (Survivor Series '90)
  • Virgil frees himself after a tag match with Ted DiBiase vs. Dustin Rhodes & Dusty Rhodes! (Royal Rumble '91)
  • Virgil vs. Ted DiBiase (WrestleMania VII)
  • Ted DiBiase vs. Bret Hart (Saturday Night’s Main Event Apr 15th 1991)
  • Ted DiBiase vs. Roddy Piper (MSG Show, Apr '91)
  • Virgil wins the Million Dollar Title! vs. Ted DiBiase (SummerSlam '91)
  • Ric Flair & Ted DiBiase & The Mountie & The Warlord vs. Bret Hart & Roddy Piper & The British Bulldog & Virgil (Survivor Series '91)
  • Repo Man & Ted DiBiase vs. El Matador & Virgil (This Tuesday In Texas)
  • 30-Man Royal Rumble WWF World Heavyweight Title (Royal Rumble '92)
  • The Natural Disasters Earthquake & Typhoon vs. Money Inc. Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase (WWF Tag Team Titles Match, WrestleMania VIII)
  • Legion of Doom Animal & Hawk vs. Money Inc. Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase (SummerSlam '92)
  • Money Inc. & The Beverlys vs. The Natural Disasters & Nasty Boys (Survivor Series '92)
  • Irwin R. Schyster & Ted DiBiase vs. Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan (WWF Tag Team Titles Match, WrestleMania IX)
  • The Smoking Gunns & The Steiners vs. The Wild Samoans & Money Inc. (8-Person Tag Match, King Of The Ring '93)
  • Ted DiBiase’s final WWF match vs. Razor Ramon (SummerSlam '93)
  • Ted DiBiase returns to AJPW with Stan Hansen to regain the tag titles! vs. Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada (AJPW World Tag Team Title Match, Budokan Hall, Sep 3rd '93)
  • Ted DiBiase’s final match due to injury vs. Jun Akiyama (AJPW 21st Anniversary Show)
  • Ted DiBiase returns to WWF as a commentator and to create the Million Dollar Corporation (who are mostly shite), enlisting, in a swerve, TATANKA! (Summerslam '94)
  • Meanwhile Million Dollar Ted brings back “The Undertaker” to set up the TAKER VS TAKER MAIN EVENT! (Summerslam '94)
  • Millionaire Ted manages Bam Bam Bigelow to the main event of WRESTLEMANIA XI vs Laurence Taylor! - then kicks him out for losing (Wrestlemania XI)
  • Ted DiBiase intoduces the “Ringmaster” Steve Austin in January '96 and brings back the Million Dollar Championship Belt for him. However, he is “fired” due to Steve Austin losing to Savio Vega (In Your House: Beware of the Dog 2 '96)
  • Ted DiBiase joins WCW to become the manager and financial backer of nWo!.. For three months until Bischoff decided he wanted the role.
  • Ted DiBiase manages The Steiner Brothers, leading them to two World Tag Championships, until Scott turns on Rick to join nWo (Superbrawl VIII)
  • Ted DiBiase returns to WWE for a while as creative, then “wins” (by paying I.R.S off) a 15-man “legends” Battle Royale on the 15th anniversary (sort of) of Raw featuring the likes of: Al Snow, Bart Gunn, Bob Backlund, Doink The Clown (Brooklyn Brawler), Flash Funk, Gangrel, Gillberg, Irwin R. Schyster, Jim Neidhart, Pete Gas, Repo Man, Scotty 2 Hotty, Sgt. Slaughter, Skinner, Steve Blackman, and The Goon!!!
  • Ted DiBiase introduces… sigh his son Ted DiBiase Jr. (RAW, May 19, 2008)
  • Ted DiBiase is inducted to the 2010 Hall of Fame! (Wrestlemania 26)
  • Ted DiBiase “buys” the 24/7 Championship from Alundra Blayze after she threatened to put us all out of our misery and out the title in the bin (RAW “Reunion”, July 22 2019)

0 voters

And as he won’t get his own thread:

How Good Was Virgil Really?

0 voters

Used to wind my mate steve up by calling him ‘ted dire-base’ until he shouted at me ‘HE’S NOT TED DIRE BASE, HE’S TED DIBIASE! HE’S THE MILLION DOLLAR MAN!’

Hence an easy 5

2 Likes

In hindsight Money Inc made no sense. Why would the rich man be so chummy with the IRS guy? No, no this doesn’t add up at all! 0/5

Nah, 5/5, obvs. I have a terrible memory but for some reason I vividly remember watching Money Inc vs The Natural Disasters at Wrestlemania VIII on tape. Such a great promo guy. Wee colossalhorse hated him so damn much!

2 Likes

as good of a reason as any :smiley:

literally was going to be my first question, I guess it only makes kayfabe sense if I.R.S is actually a sneaky bollix and his “you must pay your taxes” shit is a front for his actual behind closed door dealings with Million Dollar Ted.

I’ve wasted my life.

1 Like

What a guy, what a laugh, what a character! Possibly one of the best heels in the late 80s/early 90s.
For some reason, I don’t remember his matches as much, but I totally remember him. From just watching him in 1990 Rumble, it reminded me of what he he could do in the ring.
Being given the Vince character and running with it so hard. Should have been given a proper title rein, but his Million Dollar belt was still iconic even though it was rarely fought for.
If you’ve not seen it, go watch the documentary on him called The Price of Fame. It’s really honest.

Obviously, looking back it now, the whole Virgil thing was quite dubious, but he managed to get him over and that was all because of Ted. Just look at what Virgil did afterwards to see the proof. I remember being so thrilled when Virgil hit Ted with the belt and split from him

On the side note of Virgil, give OOC back his tenner!

(actually gave a 4)

1 Like
1 Like

:smiley:

I mean Vince obviously just thought, “they’re both something to do with money, perfect pairing.” Which is exactly how my 8 year old brain understood it tbf.

Just saw this on wiki:

“During one skit, [DiBiase] invited a young boy onto a stage and told him if he bounced a ball 15 times in succession, DiBiase would pay him $500. After the 14th bounce, DiBiase kicked the ball away, sending the boy home without pay”

Now that’s a heel!

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s this one Ted DiBiase Basketball - YouTube

It’s so terrible (I mean as in evil), but so good at the same time

4 Likes

(that’s ok I actually gave a 3)

Ahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

1 Like

Lovely stuff. Would have been funnier if he’d properly booted the ball away into the crowd but I guess I’m willing to accept it’s not worth risking breaking a small child’s arm just for a cheap laugh.

1 Like

fpXmPUP

2 Likes

Good gimmick, well worked and delightfully hateable in a way that fit the era. But his best wrestling (at least in the ring) was outside wwf. By that time he was past his best and covering a lot of his physical limitations but it never got too bad to be fair. That being said pretty competent on the mic, and surprising longevity despite being a bit of a one-note act. A 4 from me overall.

1 Like

he did a similar thing with :grimacing: Eugene at WM22

lol young RVD:

1 Like

YES

1 Like